Check out my $25.00 damper

8 replies to this topic
  • Dutch

Posted June 20, 2002 - 12:46 AM

Necessity is the mother of invention.

• Harley_Guthery

Posted June 20, 2002 - 03:55 AM

Where did you find that dampner for $25?

• needsprayer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:05 AM

Dutch,

That looks great. Please give us a ride report, the equipment list and the steps you took to install this.

I'd definitely follow in your footsteps.

Shouldn't the bungee cord be red. :)

• secretatlas

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:24 AM

just tell me what to get and how to put it on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted June 20, 2002 - 12:26 PM

It is a stock Suzuki part from a TLR. The big Suzuki sport bikes come with this stock. I see them go on Ebay for $20 - 25.00. It works great, and you get full lock to lock movement.

• needsprayer

Posted June 20, 2002 - 01:33 PM

Dutch,

Can you give us a part number for that steering stabilizer?

• Dutch

Posted June 20, 2002 - 03:27 PM

I don't know the part # but any of the Suzuki sport bike steering stabilizers will work. There has to be vertical room for the stabilizer to lift when it moves lock to lock, that is the reason for the bungee - to keep it from bouncing while in the centered position. I've had a couple of good rides with it so far - you do not notice it until you need it, it really calms the BRP down at speed. That is all I ask from a steering stabilizer.

• DR.Zaius

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:16 PM

Dutch- that is excellent! 10 points for innovation.

But maybe I am blind- how does that actually dampen the steering? Is the center (larger) part conected to the steering stem, then the smaller rod runs all the way through? That's what it looks like to me, maybe I am wrong.

:)

• Dutch

Posted June 21, 2002 - 01:07 AM

The body of the stabilizer is fastened to the frame at the steering neck. The rod is connected to the lower tree. The photo shows the bike with the wheel fully cocked to the left.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.