hesitation,bog, on accel. off idle

10 replies to this topic

Posted June 17, 2002 - 04:31 PM

mike s. here,i have 02 xr650r,bike runs great,no miss per say,has had hop up kit done at dealer,has wb e series pipe on it.on initial accel off of idle with choke 1/2 off bike has flat spot,not good for wheelies as i am sure yo all know,if i run with choke at half or almost off bike runs great,what can i do to fix,will this damage bike if i run w/ choke 1/2 on?
seems to me w/ choke somewhat on it must be running lean to run correct w/ choke 1/2 on? :)

Posted June 17, 2002 - 04:53 PM

added;correction,problem is w/ choke off,runs perfect w/ choke 1/2 off

• RedThunder

Posted June 17, 2002 - 05:05 PM

You'll never get rid of it with the stock carb. Thats just the way a big four-stroke without a pumper carb runs. Many people are putting on Edelbrock Qwiksilver carbs with great results.

• qadsan

Posted June 17, 2002 - 06:07 PM

Originally posted by MIKE SCHIADA:
added;correction,problem is w/ choke off,runs perfect w/ choke 1/2 off

If your bike runs much better with the choke half way on/off, then consider richening your mixture. What jets do you have installed right now?

• pbgunrunner

Posted June 17, 2002 - 06:33 PM

Sounds like you might have a clogged pilot jet circut as well. The same thing happened to mine- it would run on 1/2 choke, but it was still lean. Pull the carb and give it a good wask of carb cleaner through the circuts. Otherwise your mods have created a need to re-jet. Good luck- Chad

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Craig_Mitchell

Posted June 17, 2002 - 07:34 PM

Mike and Kevin, If a brp needs the choke half
on to run properly when warmed up ( I am
assuming you warm up before doing wheelies )
there is something wrong with the carb. other
than it not being a pumper.

On my U.K. brp, if I whack the trottle open
at any time whilst moving eg. 1 mph plus there
is no boggging. In higher gears there is only the slightest
hesitation then ka-pow. If I whack it while
stationary and idling it dies, which I'm led
to believe is the norm for big 4 dtrokes.

There has been speculation that there is a
slight difference between U.K. carbs and
'merican ones, but even allowing for this
it still seems to me that you should be
able to dial-out most of your hesitancy.

Just my opinion. cheers, Craig

Posted June 18, 2002 - 04:38 PM

thanks for all the feedback guys,still have ?
does it hurt bike to run with choke not all the way off as bike runs perfect like this.
thanks to all,mike s. :)

• Moredesert

Posted June 18, 2002 - 05:44 PM

Well that is a good question. I going to say YES because I had the same problem on my XR600. I had to choke the bike 1/2 way everytime I started it hot or cold. I even ran with the choke on 1/2 way a lot of the time. UNTIL I sucked part of the choke plate in my engine and took out the top end 65 mile out in the desert. Bummer Dude :)

This my not be the same on the 650's but it cost Honda $2000 to replace everything.

I would check the primary jet. A 68 is good. You can also try raising the needle one notch.

• gtms34

Posted June 19, 2002 - 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Moredesert:
I even ran with the choke on 1/2 way a lot of the time. UNTIL I sucked part of the choke plate in my engine and took out the top

The 650R has that same plate on the choke. I took mine off ASAP. I hate to say it, but changing to the Edelbrock is the only way to fix the carb woes of the 650R.

• Moredesert

Posted June 19, 2002 - 08:43 AM

How much is an Edelbrock carb anyway?

• qadsan

Posted June 19, 2002 - 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Moredesert:
How much is an Edelbrock carb anyway?

About $400 - $480 depending on where you buy from.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.