Just wanted to say hi & ask a few questions

4 replies to this topic
  • L8TBRKR

Posted October 12, 2004 - 05:27 PM

Just bought a 2003 wr450f which I absolutely love. Anyways, what are the best tires for dirt/grass/mud trails and motocross?

What psi I would you recommend to start at?

Anyone willing to give a quick explanation of the mods I've been reading about? Throttle stop cut, gray wire etc.?

What would be a recommended starting point for jetting a bike being run at approx. 3000'. I noticed the bike wants to back fire every now and then after getting off the gas.

Thanks for any help!

• L8TBRKR

Posted October 12, 2004 - 05:52 PM

Found some links else where... they answered the engine mod questions but I would still like to know what people would recommend for tires as well as PSI front and back?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted October 12, 2004 - 06:19 PM

Welcome :cry:! Congratulations for your new ride. :cry:

The first tool you gotta get used to on this forum is the search engine and the reason this is so is that many questions have been discussed over and over again... Hey, don't feel shy to ask but sometimes guys will just tell you that the answer is easy to find and that there is no need to write pages about it again.

That said, the tire question is one of those. The first thing you have to consider is the size you want to buy. Then, some tires are just loved by most of the guys on this forum and that includes: Dunlop 756s and 739 AT, Michelin S12 front and M12 or S12 rear, Maxxis IT and some others. If you want tires that are street legal, there are many other suggestions that you can easily find by keying "street legal tires" or "DOT tires" in the search engine.

As for pressure, I always keep a straight 14 in my tubes. With heavy duty tubes. Never had a flat.

I had the back fire problem as well. WR stock jetting is too lean. You will have to increase your main jet and get a little richer on the fuel screw. But I'm not a pro at jetting so I'll let the Gurus speak. Notice that there is a special forum dedicated to jetting questions :cry:

Wish you a lot of fun on this forum :cry:

• Matt03wr250f

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:12 AM

I agree with math 14psi is a good pressure to run front and rear, havent had a flat so far (touch wood) even with the stock tubes.
As for tyres, its personal preference, i liked running a Michelin comp III up front and a Michelin H12 out the back on my 250f, my new bike will have to wait for the stock dunlops to die before i try a trelleborg out front while returning to an H12 out the back. I found that the H12 is a bit skatey on loose gravel but otherwise i was really happy with it

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 02, 2004 - 04:25 AM

Just bought a 2003 wr450f which I absolutely love. Anyways, what are the best tires for dirt/grass/mud trails and motocross?

What psi I would you recommend to start at?

Anyone willing to give a quick explanation of the mods I've been reading about? Throttle stop cut, gray wire etc.?

What would be a recommended starting point for jetting a bike being run at approx. 3000'. I noticed the bike wants to back fire every now and then after getting off the gas.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome aboard! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Michelin S12 front (14 psi) and rear (10 psi) ( get the 140 it is a 120 actual size) :cry: It is a fantastic soft terrain tire! :lol:
If you ride rocks as well get the M12 front with the S12 rear! great combo. :lol:

Go to Thumperfaq for all the mods in details with pics! Link: http://www.thumperfaq.com/index.htm
The 250 mods are the same for the WR450. It is a great site! :lol:

Jetting: The occasional back fire pop is OK for a four stroke. If you have her uncorked and opened up the air box I would recommend the JD jetting kit from our TT store. :lol: Also get a 48 pilot, #40 leak jet and a 72 starter jet from yamaha. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.