1983 xr500 mods

1 reply to this topic
  • AUSSIEKTM

Posted June 17, 2002 - 12:27 AM

I am placing this post on behalf of a friend who rides an old 1983 xr500. He does the odd hare scramble and natural terrain motocross etc. and is looking to try and improve performance. If not entirely familiar with the model it is air cooled, prolink rear suspension with drum brake, disc front brake etc. The engine has recently been rebuilt and is great. It is lacking in the brakes and suspension area. My enquiry is regarding any mods that anybody might be aware of with this bike like fitting later model rear shock or front spring upgrades or brake upgrades. I realise this is an old bike and I did suggest to him that before he went too far with it he should maybe consider upgrading but budget (and a wife and two kids) doesnt allow that option at the moment. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrdude

Posted June 17, 2002 - 12:45 PM

I am selling a set of Race Tech cartridge emulators (new) for that bike-see classified section- that will help the front end quite a bit. It certainly won't turn it into an XR600 front end but the emulators are simple to install and very effective compared to most front end mods you can do to the old damper rod forks. Check out www.race-tech.com for a good explanation of how they work. I have used these and the difference is substantial.

Charlie

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.