XR-R Starting on kickstand

5 replies to this topic
  • BBD

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:43 AM

Howdy, just bought a 2000 650R with the standard HRC breathing mods. I am more than impressed and looking forward to slinging quite a bit of dirt and ruining many knobbies on the street. I have these starting questions:

1) Do you give it a throttle twist (as on the Yamathumper) before a cold start?

2) Has anyone bent the kickstand or kickstand mount by starting the bike by standing on the pegs with the kickstand down? It looks pretty beefy and it makes it much easier to get the leverage on the starter.

• Spacehog

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:28 PM

Don't touch the throttle until it has ticked over for a few seconds then open it very slightly and slowly, unless it has a different carb to original.

• RedThunder

Posted June 13, 2002 - 09:37 PM

I wouldn't start it on the kickstand. I know of a couple guys that always started their XR400's that way, and the frame cracked where the kickstand bolts on. The 650 may be sturdier, but it'll still probably happen eventually.

Twisting the throttle while the motor isn't running doesn't do anything (it doesn't have a pumper carb). To start it cold, just flip the choke on, bring the motor a little past TDC, and kick with no throttle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Craig_Mitchell

Posted June 13, 2002 - 08:19 PM

Gotta disagree slightly. I have found that
I have to "catch the revs" as soon as she fires
ie. do not allow for any tickover time before
touching the throttle.
Perhaps this is due to running a different
( lower )tick-over speed than other owners.

cheers, Craig

• BBD

Posted June 14, 2002 - 03:00 AM

I have found that an immediate blip after initial lightoff is beneficial.

I had just assumed it had a pumper carb. Thanks for the correction.

The kickstand thing is a real question, because it makes it quite a bit easier to start when standing up high. Maybe Honda can answer the question definitively.

• Portland_650R

Posted June 14, 2002 - 06:18 AM

I've had good luck turning the fast idle screw up a half-turn - performs the same function as blipping the throttle, which I can never seem to do properly :)

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.