98 YZ 400 OVERHEATING

6 replies to this topic
  • shamrock400

Posted October 11, 2004 - 08:07 PM

On my last visit to the dunes at Pismo my I had coolant coming out the overflow hose and the engine was not very hot at the time, when I opened the radiator cap the coolant was like foam.I did not notice a loss in power as I rode slowly back to camp but I had to stop again due to overheating, it was not a hot day and the radiators were getting plenty air flow. does this sound like a head gasket or something more serious.

Thanks Micheal

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 11, 2004 - 10:33 PM

if the radiator coolant is producing bubbles I think you've got oil mixing with coolant, which would be the head gasket.

My bike will overheat on occassion if I'm riding tight trails or leave it running while waiting for someone. I usually just shut it down when I stop to keep from overheating.

Does your oil look watery? If so you should probably replace the head gasket. When did you notice it?

Others, more knowledgeable than myself, might be able to give you a better diagnosis. Here's to hoping it's a head gasket and that you're catching the proble early on. :cry: :cry:

• Butta

Posted October 12, 2004 - 03:10 AM

I like to take things from a simple fix first, then dive into the more complex fixes. That being said, how long has it been since you replaced your radiator cap? If it's retracting at much lower pressures, that will lead to early boils and overflow through the tube. Boiling point is determined by both temperature AND pressure. Replace the cap, change the oil (look at the oil, as said earlier) and see what happens. If your radiator didn't feel hot when you were "overheating", chances are the cap is prematurely opening. My $0.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted October 12, 2004 - 03:52 AM

The easiest way to tell if it's bubbling or boiling is to test it when the engine is stone cold. Fill the radiator to the top and start it up. Now do 2 things. 1) Rev it lightly and put a light load on it, does it spit coolant while it's still cold? Also remove the radiator cap and rev it lightly, do you see a lot of bubbles while it's still cold? If yes to either of these two then it's likely you have a leak somewhere, likely the head gasget.

If it's actually boiling from temp, then yes a new radiator cap is an excellent starting point. As said above, if it's not holding pressure then the coolant will boil at a much lower temp.

• shamrock400

Posted October 12, 2004 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys. :cry:

• TampaBoy813

Posted October 14, 2004 - 03:02 AM

If it's actually boiling from temp, then yes a new radiator cap is an excellent starting point. As said above, if it's not holding pressure then the coolant will boil at a much lower temp.

what cap do I need to get? Link? More Info? :cry:

• Butta

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:04 AM

I run one from a KX500....has a higher pressure rating to prevent the early boils. Have been running it for almost 5 years now with zero problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.