Edelbrock carb

11 replies to this topic
  • timinator

Posted June 08, 2002 - 03:23 AM

I'm considering putting an Edelbrock carb on my 650R. For those who have done this, what are your impressions? Is there good performance gains?

• qadsan

Posted June 08, 2002 - 06:35 AM

* Easier starting when hot, cold and much easier when dumped
* Much better low end throttle response
* Simple tuning
* No tuning hassles when I'm riding at sea level or 8,000 feet

It doesn't have a fuel drain screw which bugs me a bit, but I'd much rather have this carb than the stock one.

• ejr

Posted June 08, 2002 - 09:23 PM

What was the stock carb?

• timinator

Posted June 08, 2002 - 10:53 AM

Are there noticeable gains in horsepower and torque?

• RedThunder

Posted June 08, 2002 - 11:54 AM

From what I've heard, there isn't much (if any at all) of a power gain, mostly its the low end response and easy starting that people are after.

At www.hondaxr.com they tested one on an XR600, it picked up about 2hp and 2ft/lbs. It was a slightly larger bore than the stock carb, though.

http://www.hondaxr.c...broc/index.html

• qadsan

Posted June 08, 2002 - 03:38 PM

Originally posted by timinator:
Are there noticeable gains in horsepower and torque?

There will be a bit more power as RedThunder said (5% maybe), but the power will be broader down below and that's were you'll feel it (in the response). The stock carb on the XR spikes lean when you quickly open the throttle from a low RPM where a pumper carb like Edelbrock, Mikuni or a Keihin FCR pumps in a shot of fuel to compensate for this, thereby improving the low end throttle response.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sam650az

Posted June 09, 2002 - 04:10 PM

I love the EB QS. I also don't think it is a horsepower-creator. Maybe a little bit. But it is astonishingly smooth. No hicups, burps or stalls. Much easier starting, always. Even if the bike went down, I pick it up and kick it right over. All hesitation has disappeared throughout the entire throttle range. I would do it again at twice the cost. I think this is the best mod to do if you ride anything more than just casually. Best of all, I now ignore all the posts re: jetting.

--Sam

• Jeronkie

Posted June 10, 2002 - 12:17 AM

sam650az,

Does this mean that it's not necessary to re-jet your carb if you have the edelbrock?

• Sam650az

Posted June 10, 2002 - 11:42 AM

Correct. Once the QS is set up and properly adjusted, no more jetting, from sea level to the top of the rocky mountains, no change necessary. I have heard some say once over 10,000 ft. elev, if you are consistently up there you could change to a different needle. For me it never needs any change. I ride here in the valley around Phoenix (approx. 1300 ft. elev.) and quite often get up into the high country (7,000 to 8,000) and never a problem. I trek off to Colorado every summer but with the wild fires, I may not get the chance this year. Anyway, get the QS. Its the best!

--Sam

• qadsan

Posted June 10, 2002 - 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Sam650az:
...I ride here in the valley around Phoenix (approx. 1300 ft. elev.) and quite often get up into the high country (7,000 to 8,000) and never a problem...

That's really nice to know! I've read it in the specs and have told people about this feature, but I've only rode my bike from sea level to about 4,000 feet so far. Later this year I'll be at 7,000 - 8,000 feet and it's sure going to be nice not having to rejet thanks to the dual vent altitude compensating system in this carb. Not messing around with the carb and having my bike immediately start up after it's been dumped along with the improved throttle response has been great!

• cyclenav

Posted June 12, 2002 - 02:47 PM

Can anyone tell me if this QS Carb. can be adapted to an XR650L fairly easy? Any advice would be appreciated!

• qadsan

Posted June 12, 2002 - 07:11 PM

Originally posted by cyclenav:
Can anyone tell me if this QS Carb. can be adapted to an XR650L fairly easy? Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't know how easy it would be to adapt to the XRL, but check out the following thread regarding uncorking the XR650L because it may give you some good ideas for better performance. The XRL guys seem to be real happy with the results of what they've done.

http://www.thumperta...ic&f=9&t=000695

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.