#68 pilot

13 replies to this topic
  • billyj7175

Posted June 06, 2002 - 04:07 PM

...despite the suggestion from Baja Designs to leave the stock pilot in my 650R after the power up kit, I put in a #68 pilot last night...and WOW...tons more bottom end (as if this bike needs any MORE low end), and lights off easier as well.
I hate to publicly disagree with such a good company (and no I'm not on their payroll) but I tried it anyway, and it really did help.

• RedThunder

Posted June 06, 2002 - 04:46 PM

Did you get the 68s or the 68? Supposedly the 68s works better.

• billyj7175

Posted June 07, 2002 - 12:39 PM

I didn't know there was a difference in any of the pilot jets??? What's the difference?
If so, please let me know that way I can get the 68s.

Thanks

• XRider

Posted June 10, 2002 - 09:13 PM

The local Honda dealer gave me the 68 not knowing any different and my bike did not run well at all until I installed the 68S. I think that the plain 68 without the s had bigger openings. I think?

• Moredesert

Posted June 10, 2002 - 02:22 PM

I plan on putting in a 68 pilot jet too. My bike pops when I back off the gas. I put the needle kit in and did all the mods but not the pilot jet.

• qadsan

Posted June 10, 2002 - 05:12 PM

Originally posted by XRider:
The local Honda dealer gave me the 68 not knowing any different and my bike did not run well at all until I installed the 68S. I think that the plain 68 without the s had bigger openings. I think?

Here's a picture of the two side by side.

http://groups.yahoo....es/68pilots.jpg

• billyj7175

Posted June 11, 2002 - 01:17 PM

Thanks! I'll be pulling mine back out to see if it's an "S" or not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billyj7175

Posted June 11, 2002 - 01:18 PM

does anybody have a part number by chance for the 68S?

• needsprayer

Posted June 11, 2002 - 02:10 PM

Billy,

Please check this part number (68s pilot jet 99105-MBN-0680)against the 68 pilot jet part number that you already have.

Let me know if they are different.

This came from a search on a another site but I cannot confirm it on Service Honda as different from a 68 pilot.

I can provide a reliable source: Arrowhead Motorsports
http://www.angelfire...rts_frames.html

• Moredesert

Posted June 11, 2002 - 06:58 PM

I went to install the 68 pilot jet and I found the little plug on the intake manifold was missing. That is why I here poping when I back off the gas. I'm sucking in air. I know I put it on when I did the smog up grades. I might wait to see how it runs again before I change the pilot jet.

• motometal

Posted August 24, 2002 - 04:44 AM

side by side, you will see that the "s" is shorter. I can't see why this would make any difference, it doesn't really stick out much past the body of the carb. It is highly unlikely that the size of the hole in the jet is different between "s" and "non-s"

I'm replacing the old "50s" with a "58" today, I'll let you guys know how it works.

That's all i'm changing this time. I hate to only make one change at a time because of what a pain it is to take the carb out, but yet if I change two or three things at once, I have no idea which change did what...

• qadsan

Posted August 24, 2002 - 07:34 AM

Originally posted by motometal:
side by side, you will see that the "s" is shorter...

I don't recall one being any shorter than the other and certainly don't get that from looking at the picture in the link I posted earlier. The main hole through the jet should be the same between the 68 & 68s, but the emulsion holes between the two are definitely different sizes (68 = larger / 68s = smaller).

• FooBarr

Posted August 24, 2002 - 01:03 PM

Does it help the snap off the bottom end? Sometimes I have hard time getting the front end up when I come to clearing an obstacle. I just did the standard uncork carb mod, main jet and needle. Guess mine still stock.

• qadsan

Posted August 24, 2002 - 08:47 PM

Originally posted by FooBarr:
Does it help the snap off the bottom end? Sometimes I have hard time getting the front end up when I come to clearing an obstacle. I just did the standard uncork carb mod, main jet and needle. Guess mine still stock.

Using the right size pilot jet for your riding environment (altitude, temperature & humidity) that also best matches your bikes performance can make a huge difference in the bottom end performance. Now whether the 68s is right for your needs is something you'll have to try for yourself, but it only costs a couple dollars and it's easy enough to swap out (definitely worth trying!).

You can get the stock carb dialed in to where the off idle performance is fair with good bottom end performance just above idle, but you'll need a pumper carb to get the most from the off idle performance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.