How do you quiet a yz 450 to 94 db or lower

7 replies to this topic
  • Trees4Traction

Posted October 11, 2004 - 09:42 AM

I live in michigan and ride pretty much all single track. I joined the CCC this year and did the atlanta ride. I didn't even get checked for sound they saw that I had a pro moto spark arestor and silencer. When I rode the color tour this weekend they would not let me ride because at an idel the DNR officer gaged me between 94.7db and 94.9db and 1/8 throttle the gaged me at @101db this is a problem. Pro moto has there sprk arrestor and silencer rated at between 94 - 96db this is not true. I have been searching on how to get the bike quieter but not lose its power without spending a whole lot of money. Does anybody have any ideas or has anybody be able to quiet the beast. I want to ride the rites of spring in March but wont be able to do this leagally if it is not quiet.

P.S. I called Pro Moto and they said they have no problem passing in Calf. and there tech is supposed to getting back with me.

• OHVrider

Posted October 11, 2004 - 04:10 PM

I got mine tested at 99db with the PMB silent core, I ended up buying a FMF Q and it tested at 96db. I have no idea how to get to 94?

• Chipstien

Posted October 11, 2004 - 04:17 PM

The only SURE way to get the bike to 94 is to buy a fully choke WR pipe. The drawbacks are obvious though. Another option though I have not seen real results is to buy a CRD Absolute Performance silencer. Supposedly 92 db or some such thing. I like my Absolute Power compared to my ole R4 but that isn't saying much. :cry:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 11, 2004 - 07:16 PM

Is this the same Trees4Traction from SnoWest?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted October 11, 2004 - 08:09 PM

Install a FMF Q muffler and WR throttle stop.

You can also try to make a "lid" for the airbox as that will quiet (restrict) things.

• yamaboy23

Posted October 14, 2004 - 10:22 AM

europe is governed by the FIM and we are by the AMA
they ,the FIM, have stricter guidelines on exhaust noise
you might check into some of their systems

• jhteneyck

Posted October 14, 2004 - 11:27 AM

I had a GTY-R tip on my stock exhaust and i think it tested at about 94dbs. Yes I have done the mods so that is a true test.

• ttr125smms120

Posted October 14, 2004 - 11:34 AM

how about give me the yzf and ill send you my ttr....muuuuuch quieter

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.