recalls?

12 replies to this topic
  • av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 10, 2004 - 09:17 PM

I have a 2003 wr450. As for things like the woodruff key failure and the headlight, how do I go about getting it fixed for free by the dealer?

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 11, 2004 - 05:10 AM

Haven't heard about any headlight problem. It's the same assembly they've been using for 6 years. As for the woodruff key problem The only recall fix Yamaha will do is to loctite the flywheel which does not fix the problem. Do yourself a favor. Bite the bullet and buy the '04 starter parts (~$250). Yamaha will not pay for these but it is the only real fix for the problem that the 03's had.

• Drtbykr

Posted October 11, 2004 - 05:05 PM

Don't expect any love from Yamaha. They turned a blind eye to the starter problem and then use locktite to "fix" it.
I'll never forgive them for running a hose that can suck crap into the engine down under the frame(that cost me a fortune with the bike being away since, and my dealer claims they did a lot labor au gratis). Plus, in my opinion the e-start is better in theory than in practise.

That said, the bike is fun when it's running and it kicks over effortlessly. I think my older Baja Kit is partly to blame for the poor e starting.

Don't expect any love from Yamaha, but a good dealer that wants to sell you your next bike may show you some.
Play safe.

• av8shunmeckaneck

Posted October 12, 2004 - 08:18 PM

I talked to two local dealers today about the flywhell issue. Turns out that its covered by a service bulletin so Im going to have the mod done before I [@#$%&*!] pieces of the engine out the side cover. My brother and I bought our bikes on the same day and he is haveing a little of a kickback problem with his bike. After readign all of the posts on this site I quickly called him to tell him not to e-start until he has the service bulletin complied with. Im still not sure what to do about the regulator problem. Im anbidding on one on ebay as we speak so hopefully that fixes my blown bulb problem. Thanks for the tips you guys about the starter.

• 5valve

Posted October 12, 2004 - 10:53 PM

maybe just a disconnected regulator wire?

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 13, 2004 - 05:55 AM

I talked to two local dealers today about the flywhell issue. Turns out that its covered by a service bulletin so Im going to have the mod done before I [@#$%&*!] pieces of the engine out the side cover. My brother and I bought our bikes on the same day and he is haveing a little of a kickback problem with his bike. After readign all of the posts on this site I quickly called him to tell him not to e-start until he has the service bulletin complied with. Im still not sure what to do about the regulator problem. Im anbidding on one on ebay as we speak so hopefully that fixes my blown bulb problem. Thanks for the tips you guys about the starter.

First thing you should know is that not using the e-start (i.e. - kickstarting) will not prevent shearing the key unless you also remove the starter idler gear. Secondly I wouldn't bother with the dealer fix as it's pretty worthless and can actually lead to more damage (starter motor, one-way clutch, idler, etc). If you do a search on here you'll find many posts of failures after the dealer fix. IMO it was an ill-fated attempt by Yamaha to come up with a quick fix. They redesigned the starter drive in '04 adding a torque limiter in place of the idler gear. This design seems to be very robust and the good news is that it is retrofittable to the 03's. The bad news is Yamaha won't pay for it. The parts cost is about $250 and the install is a 20 minute job. Go here for more info.
WR450.Com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2004 - 10:27 AM

If it was mine, knowing what I know now, I would not have the TSB done, or insist that they DON'T glue it, just lap the rotor to the crank. I feel that's why things are breaking(other than the WR key) when a backfire/kickback occurs. I carry a spare WR key in my fannypack, and the tools to replace it, just in case. I'd rather have to replace the key on the trail than have to push/tow it out of the boonies....

• BajaFool

Posted October 13, 2004 - 11:07 AM

PBDBLUE and I were in on the ground floor of the starter problem on the 03 WR450. We were the first to determine that the 04 idler and bushing would fit in the 03 and I found a USA Yamaha source for the critical $.79 bushing necessary to make the 04 idler gear fit the 03 motorcycle (a big thank you to some of our Australian members for the part number). Trust him when he says that the dealer fix using Loctite (the service bulletin your dealer mentioned) is not the solution to the starter problem. When they loctite the flywheel, the force generated by a backfire still has to be dissipated somewhere. That "somewhere," as some readers of this forum can attest, has all too often been the cause of broken engine cases, broken starter housings or broken starter idlers under the flywheel. I was one of the first to install the upgraded 04 idler parts in my 03 and I have had no problems since my initial loose flywheel episode in Jan 2003. This is because the 04 idler can "free wheel" backwards if the engine backfires, thus the starter isn't forced to turn in a direction that it wasn't meant to turn. Only loctite the fly wheel if you plan to install the 04 idler gear. Otherwise, lap the crankshaft flywheel interface, and torque the nut to 60 ft. lbs. NOT the ridiculously low torque referenced in your owner's manual. Yes, it will cost you some money, but if you want peace of mind and a trouble free motorcycle bite the bullet and do the idler retrofit.

• RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Baja, I wouldn't loctite the rotor in ANY case, I see no need, and if I want to take it off, I CAN!!! It was Yamaha's band-aid..... :cry:

• BajaFool

Posted October 13, 2004 - 01:39 PM

Rich, I agree with you that if you lap the crankshaft and fly wheel, then torque the nut to the old torque of 61 ft lb that is in the owner's manual instead of the manual update bulletin figure of 47 ft lb, you probably won't have any problems. In addition, you would be able to remove the fly wheel without using a propane torch on the Loctite. However, I loctited mine --- haven't had to remove a flywheel in 20 years. There is one other thing that you can do to reduce the chance of breaking something if you have a backfire, and don't want to spend the money for the 04 Idler Gear. You can update the 03 Idler Gear to the later part number. The 03 Idler Gear is designed to slip if there is a backfire. The torque setting of the original gear was set too high on the original gear and contributed to the problem of broken parts in the starter system. There is an 03 Idler Gear that was made available in July 2003 (it has a revised part number that ends in ( - 01)) that has a lower breakaway torque setting. I put one in my 03 when the revised gear first came out as insurance against breakage. I don't remember the cost, but a price around $50.00 sticks in my mind. When the 04 Idler Gear became available, I upgraded my bike. This whole issue of loose flywheels has been a real blackeye for Yamaha. I would not buy the first year of one of their motorcycles after a major revision to the motor or frame after my experience with the 2003 WR450F.

• RichBaker

Posted October 13, 2004 - 02:44 PM

Yep-, already did the 04 parts upgrade because I found the sidecover broken and idler gear missing a tooth when I pulled the idler gear cover to inspect it several months ago...
With the reports of the starter clutch failing, I might have to pull the dang thing...... :cry:

• ddialogue

Posted October 13, 2004 - 04:18 PM

With the reports of the starter clutch failing, I might have to pull the dang thing...... :cry:

I was just going to mention that fact... We're starting to see the starter clutch failures in the 03's. My impression of the whole TSB thing was a bad one and I opted to not have it done. :cry:

• Racing227

Posted October 15, 2004 - 07:19 PM

Like BajaFool said, lap the flywhhel to crank area and your on business. My dealer do the recall 2 times and by the second, i do the job myself. I just sand the crank and flywheel, torque the nut at 60 foot/pounds and 3000 km later still running with no problem :cry: I don' t understand what Yamaha think to put Loctite on a tapered area :cry: I work for Detroit Diesel and we have a problem like this with Loctite under cylinder block top sleeve: The Loctite chip with heat expansion and vibration and the top sleeve drop below the surface of the block and cause air in the cooling system. For Loctite between the crank and flywheel, it' s the same: heat expansion and vibration + torque !!!!! It' s not a good idea :cry:

So, go for lapping, torque the nut at 60 foot/pound and enjoy riding with no problem :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.