A little help

3 replies to this topic
  • billyboy11b

Posted June 02, 2002 - 05:57 AM

Just got my motor (93 XR650L) back after it sitting almost three years in the shop (Military can be a bitch that way)I got it back together, but it won't star and run for more than thirty seconds. After a great deal of cranking, it began to blow oil from the crank breather hose, and the timing access port. This totally blew my mind, I have worked on bikes on and off for a few years, but never seen anything like this. Any suggestions on how I can get going again would be appreciated.

• loufish

Posted June 02, 2002 - 06:25 AM

Maybe a stuck ring, allowing a lot of blow-by into the case. Have you cleaned out the carb? I don't mean just draining and re-filling with new gas, you need to take it all apart, and clean it out with carb cleaner(what else?) and blow out all the passages with compressed air.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billyboy11b

Posted June 02, 2002 - 04:33 PM

I cleaned the Carb with carb cleaner and compressed air. I also checked to insure that spark was present. Still no dice.

• Moredesert

Posted June 02, 2002 - 07:13 PM

Go back to basic's. Check the valve timing and gap. Check the compresion.

The oil is a mystery to me. I guess you could have a stuck ring. It all depends on what kind of work was done to the engine. If you had the engine a part did you get all the oil pump o-rings, seal in place. You might be hoseing the inside of the crank case causing oil to spray threw the breather tube. :)

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.