Gas milage

6 replies to this topic
  • Ol_Rob

Posted June 02, 2002 - 01:07 AM

Hey Y'all, My bike with only a couple hundred miles is already getting 45 mpg. I am wondering what is the normal? Also does adding a pipe, desmogging and rejetting, normal mods- How does this effect gas milage? Better or worse? Thanks-Robert

• Thumpster

Posted June 02, 2002 - 04:20 AM

Ol Rob,

I recall you have a XR650L? My 650L gets around the mid 30s although I haven't actually checked. I switched to the reserve position on the fuel petcock at around 75 miles of road riding. The bike has a Supertrapp exhaust with the smog equip removed. My carb needs some adjustments, the bike stumbles on the top end. The previous owner had rejetted it so I need to pull the carb and see whats in there.

[ June 02, 2002: Message edited by: Thumpster ]

• Moredesert

Posted June 02, 2002 - 07:00 PM

Ol Bob, If your still running a stock bike with all the smog stuff you haven't even come close to the power potential of the bike. You might loose a little milage but gain so much more usable power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • voodooridr

Posted June 03, 2002 - 08:32 AM

I haven't even thought of checking the actual mileage yet, with the stock tank it would hit reserve at about 76-81 miles.(34-36mpg)
With the 4.0 IMS it's on 110miles and hasn't touched the reserve yet.

• Ol_Rob

Posted June 03, 2002 - 12:02 PM

Hey voodoo what pipe is that? ims 4.0? What kind of sound does it produce? I want a good sound, but I doo ride in town alot.-Robert

• Ol_Rob

Posted June 03, 2002 - 12:19 PM

DUH!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't thinking about a new gas tank when I read your post, voodoo, LOL! That is one way to get more milage out of a tank-o-fuel!

• Jim_Scheide

Posted June 05, 2002 - 05:14 AM

Hey Rob! When I hit reserve at 75 miles with the tiny stock tank, my very first modification was the Clarke 4.7 gal. tank. It rocks!! You lose alot of weight & the huge "wings" from the stocker. Also, you still have FULL steering travel side to side, even with Acerbis Brush Guards. I avg. about 40-50 mpg., so range is now 175-200 miles before reserve. It's an easy install & gas line routing improves when you pull your smog stuff off the bike with the IMS Block-off Kit. I really believe any XRL owner will like the bike better uncorked!! It just runs better at all RPMs, but especially at the low & mid ranges that it's made for. No backfiring or slow speed stalling. Baja Designs has a page on the 650L. Get the Smog Block-Off Kit, Jetting Kit, Uni Air Filter & FMF "Q" Tailpipe...I also recommend the Acerbis tail light which they sell. I've taken ALOT of weight off the L with all the mods. Let me know if you need any more info.!! P.S.: The FMF "Q" pipe is awesome!! Harmonic 4-stroke thunder with a quiet side!! SWEET!

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  57 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.