Cheap exhaust mods for XR650R

6 replies to this topic
  • Portland_650R

Posted May 31, 2002 - 05:47 AM

Lacking the $300 or so for a fancy exhaust system, I drilled out the exhaust tip. Things were a bit LOUD - so I stopped at the grocery store for a couple packs of stainless steel scrubbers. I have been playing with them a bit - settled on two of them, in the last bit of the pipe, toward the back - and believe I have it dialed in nicely - WOT in 1st and 2nd will lift the front all by itself. Fun to play with anyway.
:) happy trails

• RedThunder

Posted May 31, 2002 - 08:24 AM

On my stock exhaust, I completely hollowed it out. Just took the 3 bolts off, slid everything out, and chopped it off. Only thing left was the stainless tip on the end of the muffler. I ran it like this for quite a while. But, it was pretty loud, not to mention it wasn't s/a legal.

Then I got a spark arrestor screen for a White Bros. R4 muffler, and welded it on the inside of the stainless tip. Loud? Yes, but no more than an aftermarket pipe. Only cost me $15 for a free flowing exhaust. Worked great until the screen blew apart!

See, I used a gas welder to do the job, and I'm sure that the flame made the screen brittle. I think it would have been fine if I'd have used a MIG welder instead.

• qcustom

Posted May 31, 2002 - 01:30 PM

Buy the high preformance insert from the dealer. My insert came with my bike so I don't know how much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big_D

Posted June 01, 2002 - 03:19 AM

Baja Designs sells the HRC Exhaust Tip for $115 which is cheaper than the $140-160 that I have been quoted by dealers.

• Portland_650R

Posted June 02, 2002 - 12:09 PM

My stainless-steel brillo pads cost $2.67. I guess I wore the hole saw a bit cutting part of the baffle off (leaving the screen).
I started with 4 brillo pads... too congested - two, in the last part of the pipe (there are two compartments) seemed to be a nice balance of noise and power.

• jaybert600

Posted June 02, 2002 - 12:45 PM

I installed the HRC tip with great results. It improves power everywhere, but is 1/3 the cost and somewhat quieter than most aftermarket systems. has it for $101. Part # 18317-MBN-640

• qadsan

Posted June 02, 2002 - 03:40 PM

Originally posted by jaybert600:
... has it for $101. Part # 18317-MBN-640

Ron Ayers Motorsports has this part number for $96.28, saving you a bit more money. I've bought plenty from Service Honda, but I've never bought anything from Ron Ayers. Dont' forget to find out shipping costs as some vendors charge more than others.

Just click on the link "Part # Search" on the left menu to check prices at Ron Ayers Motorsports. Here's the link:

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.