Piston Slap

2 replies to this topic
  • sixr500

Posted May 30, 2002 - 11:14 PM

I Have A 1983 xr500r that tends to slap the cylinder when I am in a low rpm in 1st, 2nd, gear. The engine burns no oil, has great compression, and starts on the 1st kick. I am running a 14t front and 51t rear(came with the bike, and slightly worn) until I can scrape the cash for a new set of sprockets. I was wondering if the cylinder sleeve could be worn, or mabey the larger-than-stock, sproket on the rear is affecting the way the engine runs at lower rpm. I know that the xr500s have more midrange and top-end than the xr600s do, cuz I used to have a 1987 xr600r. I am thinking that the stock 48t rear will correct the problem. Any input would be appreciated!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RedThunder

Posted May 31, 2002 - 08:48 AM

Are you sure its piston slap, if you're not burning oil? I've never heard of slap on a tight motor. Could it be possible that what you're hearing is a worn cam chain?

• sixr500

Posted June 01, 2002 - 06:30 PM

My buddy, xrjohn, checked out the cam,cam journals, cam chain,and it was all in good condition. The main goal when we torn the motor down was to replace the the transmission gear set with the spare from my parts motor. (1st gear was missing a tooth) We cleaned all the smudge and debris from the inside of the cases,and assembled again only to find that oil was leaking form the warped clutch and alternator covers. xrjohn had the fix for that. He bought a 1/2" piece of plate glass and then glued coarse sandpaper to it. We sanded the sealingsurfaces until they were level. Presto! No more leaking oil! In answer to the question, No, I dont't think that cam chain is worn, as the cylinder head was in excellent condition. This motor had a bad tranny, so we figuerd that the motor didn't have a ton of miles on it. We didn't replace any engine parts except for the tranny. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that the cam chain dosen't fail me. Thanks for the input.
-==1983 xr500r
--Plastic refinished with plastic renew-Looks brand new!!
--New seat cover
--Lots of power=Lots of FUN :)

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.