Flats

9 replies to this topic
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted October 09, 2004 - 08:08 PM

Well I have changed four flats this year, two puntures, two pinched tubes. I ride in a lot of rocky ground, also in a lot of wooded areas with madrone and laurel. Anyone out there have any tips or tricks on keeping from getting flats. I am getting tired of changing tires.

• Gee

Posted October 09, 2004 - 09:57 PM

Here in Colorado we also ride in the rocks, I used to get flats all the time, but I switched to bridgestone heavy duty tubes and also keep an eye on tire preasure, running a few more pounds of preasure when it is very rocky. Knock on wood, I've not had a flat in at least 5 years. Spend the extra $$$, it's worth it.

• John_H

Posted October 10, 2004 - 02:12 AM

Heavyduty tubes,enough air pressure, and watch your step :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted October 10, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Heavyduty tubes,enough air pressure, and watch your step :cry:

I installed 2 new tubes in my new WR450 before I ever rode it. I bought the Bridgestone Ultra Duty tubes. I didnt realize how beefy these tubes were. I had always has just regular heavy duty prior and dont know if ultra duty is necessary. But now that they are in, I should not have any trouble. They were so beefy, I bet they will work like run flats if in the rare event, I ever do get a flat. My biggest fear is getting a flat and ruining all my buddies riding day.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 10, 2004 - 08:58 PM

Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty are the best tubes I have ever run. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted October 11, 2004 - 06:10 AM

Sounds as if the Bridgestone heavy duty are the way to go, thanks for the info, as for air pressure, where would be a good place to run it? I have been told since I and bigger than the average rider 6'5", 230lbs that I should run it a little higher than recommended?

• briter

Posted October 14, 2004 - 09:52 AM

I use the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy DUty Tubes and run 15 PSI on the rocky southern AZ desert. Haven't had a snake bite (pinched tube) since running the higher PSI. Used to run around 11 PSI. I think the higher PSI is more important than the tube selection. The MSR Hvy-duty tubes are used by alot of my riding buddies and they like them alot without the higher $$$ costing. :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:41 PM

i use the bridgstone ultra also, these things are so tough you can run them by themselves for supermoto riding! :cry:

• Math

Posted October 14, 2004 - 04:44 PM

I use the Bridgestone Ultra Heavy DUty Tubes and run 15 PSI

same here! :cry:

• 2grimjim

Posted October 14, 2004 - 08:15 PM

I think you would be fine just by checking and adjusting your tire pressure ti suit conditions. I live in Colo. I don't think there is real dirt anywhere in the state, just rocks, clay(or adobe mud if its wet), crushed up rocks, or cat-litter sand. All of my riding buds think I'm out of my mind because I run 20 psi in rocky conditions with a standard tube but I haven't had a pinch flat (other than tire tool/12pack of beer owner induced)in years. I really hate heavy duty tubes for the simple reason that they suck to install. I do have have a problem with running this much pressure though. 20psi combined w/scotts damper and a newfound fondness for hitting things that I shouldn't have resulted in a front wheel that looks like something off of a connastoga wagon.
This last weekend I finally replaced my battered front hoop with a 20" Excel rim and Bridgstone M601 w/STANDARD tube @13psi. Results good so far!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.