Winter Battery Storage

3 replies to this topic
  • Xr650LMartin

Posted October 09, 2004 - 02:33 PM

I will be storing my 650L in a non-heated place for winter. Is there a special thing to do with battery?? Should I remove it and keep in the house? Thanks

• grreatdog

Posted October 09, 2004 - 03:00 PM

I used to use a battery tender (trickle charger) until I discovered sealed batteries. I buy them at a battery store and they seem to hold a charge forever, can be mounted in any position and are vitually indestructible. I have one about the size of two packs of cigarettes that has been in my Honda mower, my XT350 and now my XL600. After two and a half years of much neglect and abuse, it still holds a charge like new. BTW, it was cheaper than a new wet cell Yuasa from the bike shop. Pretty cool things, just zip tie one anywhere on the bike and forget it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted October 09, 2004 - 09:14 PM

Keeping the battery in a cold place will probalby kill the charge, but corrosion will slow also. If you want to be anal, drain the electrolyte and store the battery dry. Replace it and charge the batt when you plan on riding again.

• truck6driver

Posted October 10, 2004 - 04:22 PM

Store??? Did you know that the XRL will ride through 2 foot of snow? Who wants to store when you can ride. I do not have the snow problem anymore but it does get cold. Long underwear and a good set of First Gear cold weather pants and a good jacket and away we go.

Back to the question. If you have a place to store it inside, remove the battery and place it inside.
Ray

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.