bent subframes

9 replies to this topic
  • dr_penner

Posted May 28, 2002 - 12:51 PM

Anyone else out there bent their subframe?

During a low-speed get-off that didn't even scratch the plastic I bent my subframe about an inch off to the left. The fall was onto the right hand side of the bike. I first noticed a low-pitched grinding sound which was the rear tire rubbing on the white plastic swingarm protector thingy.

Then I noticed the rear fender deviating leftward from its previous midline position. By the end of the ride my muffler had some new marks on it where the tire was rubbing on it during compression. Has this happened to anyone else?

More importantly, how did you try to repair it? Any way to strengthen this subframe so that it doesn't happen again?

Kurt Penner
Somewhat peeved at my high-tech aluminum frame crumpling like pop cans....

• XRider

Posted May 29, 2002 - 06:47 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. It sounds like yours bent a little more that mine did. What makes matters worse for me is that I could not even remove my rear fender from the sub frame do to one of the little threaded brass fittings just spins inside of the sub frame Mine crash was so low speed that I was shocked when I discovered that it had bent the sub frame. I feel that this is a B.S. thing to happen on a dirt bike. Who is going to never drop their dirt bike? These things should be built to at least take a small drop. No complaints otherwise.

• maui

Posted May 29, 2002 - 08:15 AM

Almost all bikes these days have aluminum sub frames, it is a bummer they bend so easy.I bent mine the same way you guys did.Took off the fender and seat and laid the bike on its side.Takes two guys to straighten it, but you can bend it yourself ez!Anyway I used a 5 foot piece of angle iron with a L welded on the end.Found a place to wedge it in the back of the subframe and my buddy and I leaned on the bar and straightened it out.I cracked a weld a bit so I welded it and its about good as new.I have seen a frame gusset kit for the crf450 from summers racing but I am not sure about the 650.

• Ken_Jones

Posted May 29, 2002 - 09:16 PM

That is a fairly common occurence on the BRP. It is also just as easy to re-align. Remove the fender and seat and use whatever means strikes you. It isn't hard to over correct if you get a little too strong with the bugger. Good luck!

• Mr-Brightside

Posted December 19, 2008 - 10:51 AM

This seems to be a common issue...I just loosen the bolts off and the push the whole subframe to the opposit side to straighten it out...I think the bolts just come loose rather than the actual frame bending...where the bolts loosen it makes the subframe drop to one side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PorterzCustomz

Posted December 19, 2008 - 11:21 AM

I had to laugh when I saw this thread. I guess we don't bother to use the search button anymore. :thumbsup: We are all guilty of it from time to time.

The same thread was posted just last night. :smirk:

http://www.thumperta...4873&highlight=

• XRandWRRider

Posted December 19, 2008 - 02:52 PM

I had to laugh when I saw this thread. I guess we don't bother to use the search button anymore. :thumbsup: We are all guilty of it from time to time.

Since I posted about my "redneck-repair" in that other thread, I'll skip it here!

• PorterzCustomz

Posted December 19, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Since I posted about my "redneck-repair" in that other thread, I'll skip it here!

:smirk: :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted December 19, 2008 - 09:32 PM

Just remember, this is an online forum with a search engine.

Not a search engine with a forum.

We were all new guys at one point.

• scalejockey

Posted December 20, 2008 - 07:01 AM

Just remember,

We were all new guys at one point.

Ya,when signed up i was still drinking "lite" beer and thought that this was a life changing web site. Kinda like Oprah!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.