Dry Sump Eliminator Kit

9 replies to this topic
  • TonyDeCoster

Posted October 08, 2004 - 09:28 PM

Does anyone have a thought on the Dr. D oil block off kit? It's supposed to save 3 lbs. but at $50/lb., is it worth it?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted October 08, 2004 - 10:06 PM

I have no personal experience with the kit, but I understand that your oil capacity is halved when you install the 'wet sump' kit. Basically, that would mean an oil change after virtually every ride, due to the punishment that the small amount of oil (I think it's about 800-900ml with the wet sump kit) would take. It's probably only worth considering for 'race only' applications IMO. :cry:

• SFO

Posted October 08, 2004 - 10:07 PM

After working for Keith McKarty and building factory race bikes I can venture a few guesses.
The dry sump kit makes it 10% easier to swap motors between races.
That is worth 50$ on the national level.
OTW, 50$ is pimp money IMHO.

• BM426Racer

Posted October 09, 2004 - 04:38 AM

Yeah its worth it. You get some trick looking caps and such. Just have to change your oil more frequently.

• tad69

Posted October 09, 2004 - 12:05 PM

Do they still sell it? I can't find it on their web site. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted October 09, 2004 - 02:43 PM

Not worth it to me. I read an article that mentioned that the pros used it, as mentioned above, to make motor swaps faster for the mechanics. I'm a weekend warrior and I'll take the 3 extra pounds for some extra oil capacity and reduced maintenance!

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2004 - 02:43 PM

The wet sump conversion is a viable option for a serious racer only IMO (I'm not humble, really). Frankly, I wouldn't do it for a host of reasons, but mostly because dry sump oiling is a superior approach technically, and because YZFs already hold too little oil for my taste.

On the other hand, $50 pound isn't that much for weight reduction. If half of what an aftermarkete exhaust does is reduce weight, then you're paying about $150/pound or more in many cases.

• TampaBoy813

Posted October 09, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Do they still sell it? I can't find it on their web site. :cry:

they still have 3 kit's...but they no longer make the Kit....

• klokard

Posted October 10, 2004 - 08:30 AM

If you are track only then you may want to consider it. If you trail then no way. The 3 lb savings is not worth the loss of 1/2 your oil capacity. You will save just as much weight by running only a half full gas tank.

• Satch0922

Posted October 11, 2004 - 06:17 AM

If you are track only then you may want to consider it. If you trail then no way. The 3 lb savings is not worth the loss of 1/2 your oil capacity. You will save just as much weight by running only a half full gas tank.

Funny you should mention this....I know a guy with a wet sump kit on his YZF and he "tops off" the tank before every ride......WHAT IS UP WITH THAT! Gas is 6lb / gallon! LOL

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.