spark plug gap?

5 replies to this topic
  • jjk

Posted October 08, 2004 - 07:01 PM

How important is it to have the spark plug gap to spec in regards to performance?

• new2blu

Posted October 08, 2004 - 07:14 PM

Not sure on this bike,but an old girlfriend had a car that would pop and backfire thru the throttlebody I re-gapped the plugs and problem went away :cry:. This happened numerous times (glad that car saw a small collision that ended its life)!
I haven't checked my plug gap and haven't noticed any thing wrong it still should be checked though.

• Gadsen

Posted October 08, 2004 - 08:03 PM

Its fairly critical, but you can be close and it will work perfectly. If its too narrow, you will have a small spark, low power. A wide gap will generate higher voltage to jump the gap, but the system was designed for "so much" and excessive will result in missfire under loads and maybe even leaks when an alternate path becomes easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigdrtrdr

Posted October 08, 2004 - 08:10 PM

I only check the gap if I drop the plug on the floor :cry:
Eric

• Dual_Dog

Posted October 09, 2004 - 06:04 AM

I set the plug gap on my '02 WRF at .034". Right out of the box its smaller than the factory range of .028" - .032". Better to be a couple thousandths over than under.

• redrider77

Posted October 10, 2004 - 06:30 PM

The Yamaha manual I have says .024"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.