What's the verdict on the trials tires?

7 replies to this topic
  • Mike_Hudson

Posted October 08, 2004 - 12:05 PM

Hey Moab riders, what did you like/dislike about the trials tires. I know Indy was trying them out.

• ddialogue

Posted October 08, 2004 - 12:30 PM

I rode Indy's bike on the Slick Rock trail and the tires had incredible grip. There were pro's and con's and I'll let Indy lay it all out for you. :cry:

• oldbones

Posted October 08, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Awesome grip, work best at slow speeds. Not stable at higher speeds, tend to wander, feels like you have a flat. If you aren't roasting the tire, they last a long time. If you are, they won't.

• N7SLC

Posted October 10, 2004 - 07:19 AM

I rode Indy's bike on the Slick Rock trail and the tires had incredible grip. There were pro's and con's and I'll let Indy lay it all out for you. :cry:

I rode Indy's bike at Moab and the grip was incredible. Com'on Indy,
elaborate your trials tire/tire ball experience for us! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rush66

Posted October 10, 2004 - 08:05 AM

I rode Indy's bike on the Slick Rock trail and the tires had incredible grip. There were pro's and con's and I'll let Indy lay it all out for you.

Slick rock yes, but it didn't seem he had as much fun in white wash.

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 10, 2004 - 08:56 PM

Hey Mike, The X11 Trials tires were very good for what they were designed for. I have run them in single track in Kentucky, UP of Michigan, Nothern Wisconsin and Moab. They are like gummie bears on rocks. Point the bike where you want to go and it tracks perfectly without the usual bouncing around that causes you to change lines. :cry: It is real fun. :cry: They had too much traction ( I did not think I would ever say that) on smooth parts of slick rock. In Kentucky clay they were great except in the mud they were completely useless like slick street tires and the front end was real scary. :cry: In Wisconsin they were great in firm soil and especially over logs and roots. In Michigan they were no problem in the sand (I was surprised by that). :cry: In fact they floated on top of the sand and hooked up very well. Unfortunatley the biggest draw back is that they were squirly at high speed over 50 mph. So as Bart says one bad day at 10 mile wash in Utah (high speed desert riding) and I pulled them both off and went back to knobbies! I would never recommend the front for anything but true trials. The rear is perfect for rocky, rooty, sandy and hard pack easatern trails that are run at 25 mph average. In general I would buy the rear again for a specific ride in the east but not for anything out west where you can be going 10 mph and then 80 mph within a minute. :lol: They are narrowly focused tires and are not flexible to the variety of conditions you might get during a weekend of riding. It was an interesting experiment :cry:

• Mike_Hudson

Posted October 11, 2004 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the info, Dan. Keep up the pioneering spirit.. we all benefit from it :cry:
Mike

• Ronnie Mac

Posted October 11, 2004 - 07:37 PM

I found the tire to hook up very well,(I could climb a wall). I ride to work everyday and it did take some getting used to the flat feel. But to make a short story shorter the tire got a hole and for saftey sake I bought the dunlop D606 for the back, same mich x-11 for the front. The d606 rides like a prickly rock. Got to try it once.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.