Who rides in the cleveland Cleveland NF

25 replies to this topic
  • XRider

Posted May 23, 2002 - 08:38 AM

I was just wondering how many people here ride in the Cleveland National Forest in Southern, CA. I live near it and have often been riding there lately. I was wondering if there were any other people in this forum that lived in the area who ride there. In the past Month, I have seen 2 guys on KTM 520's with another guy on a XR400 and a couple of other guys one time on matching XR400's.

• PismoRat

Posted May 23, 2002 - 12:18 PM

I live in San Diego and have ridden in the in the Cleveland National Forest. Lots of good trail riding and nice atmosphere. Good for riding during the summers when the deserts are hot. I like it a lot, hope you will too.

• XRider

Posted May 23, 2002 - 12:55 PM

I was thinking the same thimg about doing it during the heat waves. I have a blast up there exploring. I live at the Northern end of the forest, Corona.

• secretatlas

Posted May 27, 2002 - 04:05 PM

i live in so cal but have always avoided that area.

people tell me the trails are pretty tame and there are a lot of self-guided missles shooting through them on the weekends.

correct me if i'm wrong, always looking for good singletrack.

• XRider

Posted May 28, 2002 - 04:32 AM

The trails are tame if you are to stick to the fire roads. There are some more difficult trails off of the fire roads. I go there mainly to keep in shape and it gives me a chance to ride after I get off of work. I just shoot out of my drive way and I am on the trail in about 5 minutes.

What are you referring to when you say “self guided missiles”? Are you referring to Maniacs racing around in pickup trucks? You do have to watch out for idiots like that. I don’t think that is worse that any other national forest roads that I have been on.

• Kari

Posted May 29, 2002 - 10:59 AM

We also live in Corona CA and really enjoy the fire roads through the Cleveland Nat'l Forest (check out www.coronariders.com). Since i am a passenger on my husband's bike, we stick to the main roads. I love it out there!!! We live right near Foothill/Fullerton Ave. and you can take Fullerton right on up into the hills. Have you taken the trail all the way to Silverado Canyon? As soon as I get my motorcycle this summer, we plan to spend a lot of time out there. I know it is not "wild" riding, but as crazy as I ever plan to get. Also, it is nice to not have to deal with a trailer, just hop on the bike and you are off road in 5 minutes.

• Kari

Posted May 29, 2002 - 11:06 AM

I am also curious as to what "watch out for self-guided missles" refers to?? We never see anyone out there, even on weekends. Every once in a great while we will see hikers or mountain bikers at the beginning of the trail, but so far never another bike or truck. A coyote or bobcat if we are really lucky, but that is pretty rare.

• secretatlas

Posted May 29, 2002 - 11:45 AM

self guided missles: i stopped riding in southern california national forests (san bernadino) on the weekends because there are just too many people on the trials...i.e. self guided missles.

national forest trails, the two tracks, get pretty curvy making it hard to see around corners. plus, since they are two track and
non-technical they tend to be tame and enable people to ride faster than they really can...thus becoming self guided missles.

in my opinion the forest service is shooting itself in the foot by what i see as a gradual taming of the trails in the forest system.

i understand erosion and environmental reasoning, but if the tame two tracks that have replaced a lot of the good singletrack that used to be out there is a result of mitigating accidents, i think it's a mistake. all it has done is helped joe sixpack and his merry band of drunk fourwheeler riders to give it a little more gas. at least in the desert it's easy to spot a redneck. you can see them miles off.

i have lived in california for one year and have hit three people on the national forest trails... been riding since age 4 and never hit anyone...

i sneak out to the san berdo forest every so often but it's only on the weekdays.

so that's why i never tried cle nat forest. cause i would have to load up to get down there and that would end up being on a weekend.

:)

• secretatlas

Posted May 29, 2002 - 11:56 AM

Kari,
i noticed in another post that you took the dirt bike school in colton. very cool. i'm one of the instructors there. i hope you had a good time!

small world. :)

• coronariders.com

Posted May 29, 2002 - 11:59 AM

Hey there. Just joined in this forum and the topic got my attention. I started a club in Corona, CA: www.coronariders.com and yes, it includes thumpers (and roadbikes to). Membership hit 50 in two months. We've got a meeting this Saturday and a ride through the Cleveland forest, if anyone would like to join us.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kari

Posted May 29, 2002 - 01:14 PM

Hey secretatlas, i think you were my instructor, as he also said he has hit 3 riders since moving to SoCal! I just took the class on this past Mother's Day in the evening. I had a BLAST! I highly recommend it and will most likely take it again with my 2 teenage daughters.

Re: Cleveland Nat'l forest, for some reason it is not crowded at all here near Corona, no kidding. Like I said, we have never seen another bike on the trail. Only street legal bikes though, and you need to get a key for the gates, because as we all know, we would NEVER go off the trail and spoil the natural flora and fauna in order to get around a big gate and fence...

• Kari

Posted May 29, 2002 - 01:21 PM

Hey, that's my husband!! Hi Morgan, now it really IS a small world!

• XRider

Posted May 30, 2002 - 05:50 AM

Kari

I also hit the trail a lot at the end of Fullerton. I think that it is called Eagle Rd. I live near Foothill and Main. Sometimes I will take the road that begins off of Oak. Are you familiar with that one? It is on the west side of Lincoln. I have taken the trail all the way to Silverado. My buddy and I sometimes go that way into Orange and we stop to have lunch at a little Mexican place off of Chapman Ave. I have also been up to the top of Santiago Peak. I would like to take a trip all the way to Ortega Hwy one day. I would also like to check out the west side of the hills toward the Toll Roads. What kind of bike do you and your husband ride on and when do you usually ride out there?

Greg

• coronariders.com

Posted May 30, 2002 - 06:13 AM

XRider-

Our club's doing the Corona to Ortega trail this Saturday. I haven't ever taken the wing that goes from the peak down to the tip of Silverado Canyon. I know where it lets out at the gate, but I've never done it. If I remember, that gate is frequently locked and it leaves you with no option to get around it, am I right?

• XRider

Posted May 30, 2002 - 06:55 AM

I just signed the guest book on coronariders.com. Thanks for the info. I wish that I could attend the meeting on Saturday but, I have already made plans. Maybe I will see some of you on the trails soon.

• XRider

Posted May 30, 2002 - 07:10 AM

Morgan

I don’t know if there is more than one trail going to Silverado. I have been to Silverado on one trail and have always been able to exit through an open gate. I think that I remember seeing another trail that leads to Silverado. Never checked it out.

I would love to go on the ride this Saturday but, I have already made plans with my wife to go to Havasu. If I would of known about it sooner, I would definitely be going. However, I will be at the next one for sure.

Greg

• secretatlas

Posted May 30, 2002 - 07:17 AM

yah Kari that was me.
i had my brothers there to help, if you remember.

after you and the other students left we took xr100s, set up a TT course, and had bar bangin battles into the early morning. it was awesome. of course i got into trouble from my boss the next day cause we wadded a couple of the bikes. :)

well it's good to hear that you are getting into riding. and thanks for the props on the class. i think i enjoy teaching them as much as people enjoy taking them!

have fun

• xr_rider

Posted May 30, 2002 - 08:15 AM

I live off of Upper between Main and Fullerton. I rarely see any other dual sport riders there. When do you guys ride? I regularly ride to Sadleback from my garage with friends. Its about 37 miles on my Panoram. I just posted a thread because last week I had some bike problems on our ride to Saddleback. Once the problem is fixed I will be heading back out. I have also ridden Main Divide to Ortega Hwy its about 75-80 miles round trip and a great ride. We end up taking Temescal Canyon home after a pit stop at Toms Farm. It makes for a great day of riding.
Mike :)

• Kari

Posted May 30, 2002 - 09:21 PM

Hello Greg and Mike,
Sounds like we all live within a mile of each other, what are the odds of that?? Do your wives ever ride with you? My husband and I would really like to invite you and your wives over for BBQ and a ride in the next few weekends. I am anxious to take the trail to Silverado and it would be fun to do with new friends. Last summer we drove the road in a car and were so surprised that it was very cool up there (it was over 100 degrees in Corona). You can email my husband via his coronariders.com website if you are interested.

• Kari

Posted May 30, 2002 - 09:33 PM

secretatlas,
i knew it had to be you! Let me just say that i was very impressed by the dirt bike rider course, the facilities were so nice, the gear was all brand new, the bikes ran so smoothly and the track was beautifully maintained. Also, you have the patience of a saint. The class was a huge eye-opener for me, as I always rolled my eyes when my husband came home from a hard day of riding complaining of sore muscles. I thought sitting on a bike doesn't require muscles! Was I wrong! I was so super sore the next day and have a new respect for the sport. I used muscles that I didn't even know I had!!!!! Anyway, the course was great, your dad is very nice, and your brothers sure are sweet to help out. The only thing that really freaked me out was when the whole class did those figure 8s all at the same time and we had to decide who went first at the intersection, I thought I would crash into someone for sure. Glad I didn't!!! If you and your brothers ever want to give Cleveland Nat'l Forest a try out here in Corona, let my husband Morgan know. I'm sure he'd be glad to show you the trails.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.