XR650R - Durability

What are the worst or most common parts failures / mechanical problems with the 650R?

How are the aluminum frames holding up?

Does anybody make a radiator fan to keep them from boiling on slower technical trails?

Thanks for any info.

Common part failures are right foot peg bolts breaking off. If you have an older XR650R, then the clutch bushing and countershaft seals 'might' fail earlier than planned, but they've been since updated with newer parts and all 2002 bikes have these changes. The aluminum frames have been holding up very well from what I know. This bike is a clear winner just from looking at all the races it has won from the biggest of names like Johnny Campbell, Steve Hengeveld, Tim Staab, Rob Barnum, Scott Summers, etc. This is also a bike of choice for several off road tour companies and that should also say something about the durability and maintenance requirements of this

bike.

In regards to the fan idea, see the following article that explains this. If Yahoo breaks up the link, just copy and paste it back together to make it work.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/files/Adding%20a%20Cooling%20Fan%20to%20The%20B RP.doc

If you're worried about boiling over, you can always use a 1.8 radiator cap or switch to Evans coolant for use with your stock cap. There's several people here and on Yahoo's group using Evans with good success and I use Evans in some of the cars I own, but I've not yet switched over to it on my bike. I also putt around with my kids who ride an XR80, XR100, XR200 and my bike has not yet boiled over on me while trail riding, but we've always been moving at some speed.

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: qadsan ]

Ouch. I can vouch for the frame May 19 2002. Took a run up to a jump looked great. Backed off and started sailing. Hit the top of the jump and backed off on the throttle. Big mistake. The big bitch bucked and I was flying endo at 60km/h 15 to 20 feet in the air. Well she hit the ground and I was hanging on for dear life. Not hard enough, the bike stopped dead and I kept going. The big girl is in great shape no bends or twists to any of her. Me on the other hand am sitting here typing this with one hand because the other is in a sling. Seperated AC and a possible broken shoulder blade. ? I know that was pretty stupid but it's only stupid if you miss. I'll be out riding this week end pain and all. I'll keep both wheels firmly on the ground...........maybe. It still needs a fan. :D

I have a 2000 and broke the frame on the second ride. I blame it on the lack of skid plate from the factory. A 280lbs motorcycle landing on rocks is not protected by plastic! Get a real skid plate. I think E-line is going to start making carbonfiber skid plates for the XR650R. After that, I've boiled it a couple of times and replaced the footpeg bolts once (do it once a year, if they need it or not). The biggest improvment you can make is a top triple clamp (moves bars forward) and an Edelbrock carb. Feel free to ask any questions. I've done a steering damper, suspension, dual-sport kit, desert tank, and lots of other stuff too. Can I still recogmend it? Yes, just watch the things myself and other owners mention, other than that, the XR650R has true Honda reliability.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by sibyib:

Seperated AC and a possible broken shoulder blade. ? I know that was pretty stupid but it's only stupid if you miss. I'll be out riding this week end pain and all. I'll keep both wheels firmly on the ground...........maybe. It still needs a fan. :D [/QB]

Hey Sibyib,

Just wondering if you actually have been out riding again yet. I broke my collar bone in 2 places near the AC joint on May 18th and will just ride with my 5 and 8 year old for the next little while. Although I am afraid of being tempted by the brp and doing further damage. I found out that you separated your AC joint by reading your post on "what the average 650 owner does for a living". How long are you expected to be out, and when did you separate it. Maybe its a Canadian thing, cause we can't ride all year long?

djwebb

Separated it on May 19 took 3 weeks before I got back on the bike. Take it really easy because of the job I have to go back to. Follow the back of the pack and watch for the sticks and tight turns.(They hurt) Physio said 6 to 8 weeks before I'm 100%. Your right it's a Canadian thing. Ride when you can because it's to damn cold in the winter.

THERE IS A VALVE IN THE CASES THAT CAN GET STUCK-IF IT DOES IT WILL BLOW OUT THE COUNTERSHAFT SEAL EVERY TIME-NO MATTER WHAT SEAL-IT WILL BLOW.IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BREATHER,OIL LEVEL,OR ANYTHING ELSE. OTHER THAN THAT THE FOOT PEGS CRAPPY AIR BOX DESIGN AND 300+ LBS WEIGHT AND LACK OF A HAPPY BUTTON ARE THE ONLY "BAD" THINGS.

IF YOU ARE RACING DESERT OR RIDING ALOT ON THE STREET THEN IT'S A PRETTY GOOD BIKE,IT WILL RUN 110+ ALL DAY LONG.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I HAVE A FEW OF THEM FOR SALE-I WENT WITH A KTM............