THE HIT !?!?!

49 replies to this topic
  • ovrrdrive

Posted October 12, 2004 - 03:48 PM

Overdrive, I agree with you completely! It's amazing how, at 80 mph, a twist of the throttle (even in 6th gear) will throw you back on the FZ-1. 80 - 100+ acceleration is just like 30-60 mph. Unreal torque. There's a reason Cycle World named it the worlds best street bike.

I'm jealous now... I sold mine to give the street a break for a bit. That was the most amazing piece of machinery I have ever owned. I used to love pinning first and slamming second then letting off of it 5 seconds later at 110...

I'll have another in a few years though, all is not lost.

Enjoy your bike... :cry:

• bluerider450

Posted October 12, 2004 - 03:51 PM

i almost got an r-6 or r-1 instead of the 450 but insurence was murder but in a few years i will have it if i can drop the insurence rate

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:08 PM

Man I either have to get subscriptions or start hunting for more stores. I missed a complete top end on the 250f too. The one by the house quit carrying bike mags altogether for some reason.

I noticed yesterday the OEM 04 CDI is on back order now at the dealers. Since you dont hear a lot of failure reports, it looks like maybe somebody wasted no time scooping them up.

• ovrrdrive

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:16 PM

Lemme get another beer and I'll start scanning. :cry:

I have the 250f topend issue you speak of too.

Come on man, it's only $10 a year. Subscribe! :cry:

• bluerider450

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:18 PM

Man I either have to get subscriptions or start hunting for more stores. I missed a complete top end on the 250f too. The one by the house quit carrying bike mags altogether for some reason.

I noticed yesterday the OEM 04 CDI is on back order now at the dealers. Since you dont hear a lot of failure reports, it looks like maybe somebody wasted no time scooping them up.

id get subscriptions cheaper overall i have a sub scription to dirtrider and motocross action and it cost me like 40 for 2 years

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:29 PM

yeh I guess I'll have to subscribe. It is a pain looking for them anymore.

I owe you a beer ovrrdrive :cry:

• ovrrdrive

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:31 PM

Here's the YZ450 review...

http://ovrrdrive.mad...ds/yz450_p1.jpg
http://ovrrdrive.mad...ds/yz450_p2.jpg

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:47 PM

LOL man I think the guy was debating himself. He's much more politically correct than I am. :cry:

"the improvements allow a lower start of power and thus the smoother overall spread. The revs build smoothly and consistently but as quickly as ever despite a little more flywheel effect."

the statement of them going higher in the rear sprocket to stay in 3rd gear says what I did earlier. It does well running it in the peak powerband. It's not meant to be coming out of tight corners.

But if the 05 revs as quick as last year with the lower hp and higher flywheel effedt in the low rpms, he's either nuts or the 04 and 03's didnt have a hit.

• ovrrdrive

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:56 PM

And the 250f topend article...

http://ovrrdrive.mad...250f_topend.jpg

This ones just over 3 mb. I combined all 12 pages of it into one image.

Btw, both of these articles are in next months magazine, November. You still have time to get a hardcopy.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 12, 2004 - 04:59 PM

cool I will look for them tommorrow.

I just did replace the top ends on our 250's not too long ago. I'm curious to see what they did. I know one of the mags fired the engine with the piston rings dry. Man I would shoot somebody doing that to one of my engines.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motobark

Posted October 12, 2004 - 05:25 PM

Hey YZ250F_Rider, Thumperkid250F had a very good question for you but he should have also asked what level rider you are? What class do you race and where do you usually finish.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm quite serious. I've read some of the things you've said about the '05 YZ450 and I think we need to know your skill level and expertise to put your comments in proper perspective.

Here are two of your comments that caught my eye...

By then the other bikes have already left you.

and...

we are racing sunday, I race oldfarts C

I haven't ridden an '05 yet so I can't comment on the power. This "Hit" thing is nothing new, Yamaha has been going back and forth with their riding public (and maybe more so the magazines) for years trying to make the "perfect" power delivery. The '88 YZ250 had one of their best powerbands, good low end, a strong hitting mid and still had some overrev. The magazines (and some riders that couldn't handle the hard hitting power) complained because it came on too strong. For the next 5 years or so they kept "smoothing out" the power until the YZ250 was no longer the best motor. It took them a few more years to get the right tuning mix again.

My point on your skill was not to slam you whatever your level is, it's more like I said, to put your comments in perspective. One of the most important skills to any racer, be it cars, boats, planes or dirtbikes, is being able to give accurate feedback about what your particular racing vehicle is doing right or wrong. There is a very wide range of abilities when it comes to assessing what a vehicle is doing. My point is, on average (not everytime of course) a rider like RC or James Stewart is going to be WAY better at assessing what a bike is doing than let's say, the guy I work next to that's only ridden his WR250 twice in 3 years. We all end up somewhere in the middle of that range, some closer to an RC and some closer to the guy on the WR. Now if RC tells me the '05 YZ450 is a dog, I would be much more likely to believe him than if my friend with the WR says it's a dog.

Flame away but I'm just trying to make a point and put things in perspective. Like I said, I haven't ridden one and when I do I might be disappointed in it too. I kinda doubt it though.

John

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 12, 2004 - 05:52 PM

I dont pretend to be an AA rider. But to put it in even better perspective for you, lets use my sons skill level too. He's only been riding for 3 years period.

It doesnt matter which one of us is on the 450, it cant catch our 250's in acceleration. The mag review echoed my statement about low power output at low rpms. It's my only complaint, it's too low.

I have been riding yz250f's exclusively for the last 3 years, and I have been riding dirtbikes and streetbikes for over 35 years. I can tell when a 450 is not as quick as a 250.

It's only the acceleration or lack of it that bugs me. I have spent the last 2 years listening to 450 owners talk about the hit, some loved it some hated it, hell some whined about it like a baby. I wanted that hit too, I like hard acceleration.

• yz426onNOS

Posted October 12, 2004 - 08:49 PM

This reminds me of the muscle car era and the downfall of the fire breathing beast. :cry:

• ThumperKid250F

Posted October 13, 2004 - 02:26 AM

what level rider you are? What class do you race and where do you usually finish

yz250frider ????????????????

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 13, 2004 - 02:46 AM

Read my last post thumperkid. It's not about me, it's about the bike.

• simch

Posted October 13, 2004 - 04:07 AM

YZ250f rider, have you tried running your new 450 and the older tweaked 250's on the dyno? It would be an interesting comparison, and should easily show the differences you are describing. I am surprised at your observations on the 450, it must be one hell of a 250 you have there to be noticeably quicker! The dyno would surely tell the full story, and show where, if anywhere the 450 is stronger.
It may also help determine if you have a "lemon" 450 perhaps?
I ride a wr450 04 model, (UK spec). It was pretty quick out the box. but going up on thr main made a big difference, and did lifting the needle. Proabably gave a good 10% increase in power and torque, it is a different bike now for sure.
Perhaps this may be where you have a problem with your 450. A well jetted tweaked 250 would probly be quicker than a lean jetted 450, even with mods to gearing and exhaust etc. The dyno operarator shoulod be able to check the CO readings and let you know if it is running weak?
Just a thought, again I am surprised by your observations, as are many others, but am convinced that they are genuine observations. Just worried your 450 may not be all it should be, and like you say, they aint cheap! May be worth a dyno run to make sure....??

• gonzo

Posted October 13, 2004 - 04:18 AM

I can see what YZ250F is saying about the accelaration. There was a triple triple at a local track but the fastest line was to double single triple. I couldnt do it as well on my 450 as I could on my 250F. The 250F just revved up quicker to make that last triple.

• Thumper38

Posted October 13, 2004 - 04:39 AM

Well, I pulled the holeshot this past weekend in both motos, and there were many other bikes and skill levels on the line. The new 450 is not lacking acceleration, or speed! it is just easier to ride! :cry:

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 13, 2004 - 04:50 AM

I can see what YZ250F is saying about the accelaration. There was a triple triple at a local track but the fastest line was to double single triple. I couldnt do it as well on my 450 as I could on my 250F. The 250F just revved up quicker to make that last triple.

finally somebody gets it. :cry:
No kidding I was literally dumping the clutch coming out of tight corners the first ride at the track, bone stock mind you.

simch, what you say is valid for the yz450 as well (except the lemon part). I just put a procircuit Ti-4 pipe on it, removed the backfire screen, cut the rear wall of the airbox down flush with the fender, wrapped the header and mid-pipe with header wrap, and changed the main to 170. It made a large difference in rev ability.

I had intended on swapping the cdi unit with one for an 04, but the new cdi was dead on arrival. So I couldnt check the mapping, but at least it's comparable to the 250's now. It's not as quick just yet but I suspect with the cdi it will be quicker. I will be hanging on to all the stock trimmings and will throw it on a dyno when I port the heads on the 250's. I have to find a used head with a reasonable price first.

The reason I beefed up the 250's is because FTR classes by cc's. When we ride the yz250f's we compete against yz250's and cr250's. You either plan on severely losing all the time or you increase power.

• gonzo

Posted October 13, 2004 - 08:15 AM

Both bikes have alot of power the 250F just revs quicker. The nice thing of the 05 450 though is you now have a leak circuit to play with. You should try advancing your cams and adjusting your leak jet. That might make it pep up alittle for you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.