How hot is hot?

7 replies to this topic
  • WH

Posted October 08, 2004 - 06:48 AM

I have a 2000 Wr400. Purchased a few months ago. Replaced the stock muffler, which was gutted, with a IDS Supertrapp. I am currently running 16 rings. It starts and runs great. I have noticed when it gets dark outside the head pipe has a slight red glow. I checked the spark plug and it looks good. Is the engine running too lean? :cry: Should I rejet it? We are just a couple of hundred feet above sea level.

Thanks

WH

• SXP

Posted October 08, 2004 - 06:57 AM

Normal, normal, normal :cry:

• jhteneyck

Posted October 08, 2004 - 06:57 AM

Youre fine - that is normal. My bike, wr450 does the same thing. Once you start moving it will cool down a bit.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 08, 2004 - 08:11 AM

Perfectly normal.

The head pipe is only a single wall pipe to save weight. Typically, most four-stroke head pipes are dual wall, so you don't see it glowing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted October 08, 2004 - 08:48 AM

I noticed the same "problem", the pipe was badly hit and I thought it was overheating from reduced flow...fixed the problem, but pipe still glowing :cry:, untill I was told it is normal
at least pipe looks good now :cry:

• WH

Posted October 08, 2004 - 04:23 PM

Thanks

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted October 08, 2004 - 05:37 PM

Thanks

well with all that high compression and fire coming out of that pipe yes of course it's going to glow red hot.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted October 09, 2004 - 01:49 AM

not only is it perfectly normal but its a pretty cool feature IMO.

I get a kick out of firing it up at night and showing off my glowing pipe :cry: :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.