Anyone Know How To...

13 replies to this topic
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted May 22, 2002 - 06:18 AM

Anyone Know how to make the Throttle Pull Lighter on the new edelbrock pumper carbs?

Thanks.

• Sam650az

Posted May 22, 2002 - 01:07 PM

I wonder if there may be a non-standard explanation for your hard twist throttle. I have the QS installed and the throttle twist is equivelent to stock, not hard at all.

Do any others with the QS have a hard twist?

• Ken_Jones

Posted May 23, 2002 - 11:50 AM

My cure for a stiff throttle is to wrap one of those five pound ankle weights to my elbow or fore arm. That adds a little counter balance to the throttle pull. Best of luck...

• freestyle111

Posted May 23, 2002 - 11:56 AM

i suggest you buy a couple dirty magazines and start working out your forearm wrist muscles.dont forget to stop by drug store for lubricant.you dont want to get any calaises on your throttle hand

• Keyser_Zoze

Posted May 24, 2002 - 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Sam650az:
I wonder if there may be a non-standard explanation for your hard twist throttle. I have the QS installed and the throttle twist is equivelent to stock, not hard at all.

Do any others with the QS have a hard twist?

I have talked to quite a few others on here that have complained of the same thing; despite cables being properly set up. I think it's just a manufacturing issue.

I'm in Prescott so if you ever like woods riding your 650 feel free to contact me. Thanks.

• TT650R

Posted May 24, 2002 - 04:56 PM

I've ordered one but it's not here yet so I'm not sure what kind of spring it uses but from the looks of the pictures it uses a wrap around spring inside the carb much like the one on the outside of the stock carb...It may be possible to take one revolution of tension off it but it would depend on how many it had in the first place(if it had three you might get away with uncoiling it one rev)or I've seen lighter pull throttle assy out there(might be a better idea)I'll let you know when mine gets here cause I don't need a hard throttle myself(turning wrenches my whole life has caused my forearms to pump even when scratching my butt)Also complaints might be caused due to a batch of inconsistent springs or something like that..Good luck

• mr660

Posted May 24, 2002 - 10:34 PM

Freestyle111,
I am suprised that you did not get any feedback to your response. Interestingly enough you speak as though you have had some experience with what your solution is? but hey, whatever it takes!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted May 25, 2002 - 05:29 AM

Originally posted by mr660:
Freestyle111,
I am suprised that you did not get any feedback to your response. Interestingly enough you speak as though you have had some experience with what your solution is? but hey, whatever it takes!

"FREESTYLE111" is just another one of those poor bastards with a totally trick bike who still lives in the "Enviromentalist State" of CALIFORNIA and is pisst off at people like you and I because he has hardly anywhere to ride it - compared to us with hundreds of miles of woodsy single track right out our back doors.

If you had to throw your XR in a truck and drive 5 hours (round trip) everytime you wanted to get to some good riding you'd be pretty pisst too and might just end up just staying home to relieve all the tension (after picking up some dirty mags and lubricant) just as FREESTYLE111 has so kindly recommended...

I think it's great FREESTYLE111 has shared "what works for him" to cope with the tension of not having enought places to ride a $10,000 WR420. What do you expect owning such a bike while living in San Francisco? However, before offering his "keen advice" which is very personal to him, he first ought to look where we're from and realize that we too don't live in the "Pathetic Riding State" of California where Dirt Bikes are currently number one on the Endangered Species list.

Having moved from CALIFORNIA my heart bleeds for FREESTYLE111 and even more so for his $10,000 WR420 which unfortunately spends most of it's depressing life in a dark, cold musty garage. This could be called "Cruelty to Dirt Bikes".

Anyone who has comments on the matter feel free to interject...

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: jpeters ]

• Sam650az

Posted May 25, 2002 - 04:07 PM

JPeters:

I tried to get out riding today (Sat. 5-25) east of Apache Junction and ran into some polite forest service types who informed me that "all public land in Arizona is closed due to the extreme fire danger". I was clearly in desert environment and still it was all closed, including State Trust Land. Did they close all your riding areas around Prescott? I just can't imagine a whole summer of no riding in AZ. I know you guys have or have had some major fires up your way. If you know of any place to ride up your way, could you pass it along? I may become one of those unfortunate souls that must drive 5 hrs round trip to go riding. I have been spoiled too long. I had thought of doing the back road to Crown King soon, but it too is probably closed. Hope to hear that you are still able to ride. Thanks for any input.

--Sam

• Ken_Jones

Posted May 25, 2002 - 04:41 PM

Hey, why don't we all make a trip to Mexico? We'll ride on the sandy beaches and sip Tequila afterwoords, in whichever Cantina we land in.....

• mr660

Posted May 25, 2002 - 09:36 PM

jpeters,
Well said lad!!

• needsprayer

Posted May 26, 2002 - 02:58 AM

Sam650AZ,

I live in the High Desert of southern AZ. The rainy season will soon be upon us. We will not lose a whole season of public land use, just a couple of weeks. :)

The area labeled Charleston Ranch is a ranch open to all responsible users (no charge). The ranch has been placed under county supervision and volunteers take care of maintenance.
Take Charleston road from Sierra Vista to Tombstone (see map link below).
You will cross a bridge.
1-2 miles after you cross this bridge, on the left hand side, you will see a White sign that says Adopt-a-Ranch. There are all degrees of technical difficulty to be found.

http://www.offroute....e=tombstone, AZ

Zoom in on the road linking Sierra Vista and Tombstone. You will see Charleston Ranch.

• Sam650az

Posted May 27, 2002 - 12:15 PM

needsprayer:

Thanks for the tip and especially the directions. I've been down and driven through that area. It looks like it would be great. I hope to get a chance to get out and ride the area.

I sure hope those monsoons come through for us this year. It's awful bad up here.

Thanks.

--Sam

• freestyle111

Posted June 01, 2002 - 03:19 PM

i cant believe you guys didnt appreciate my advice.ive been using this method for years.now i have forearms like popeye.i hope you guys dont think i look down on you because i have better bike.if you take a good look at photo below the 2 red bikes they might seem a little familiar.as for calif. riding area restrictions there are way to many.i guess im just lucky that i make a pretty good living and was able to purchase a cabin in sierras.my property just happens to border stanislaus national forest and deer creek riding area.the really great thing is i dont really need to worry about it being closed to ohv's because even if it was my bike has ca.license plate which makes it exempt from the red and green sticker regulations.so i pretty much have access to 1800 acres of best single track riding in u.s.if any of you guys are ever in calif. and want to do some riding heres a link to my webspace where ive posted some ca.riding area maps ca.riding area trail maps by the way im the handsome fella standing in middle of top photo.those goofy looking guys standing next to me are both xr owners Posted Image

[ June 01, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.