engine braking

7 replies to this topic

Posted July 01, 2001 - 11:12 AM

Is it possable to reduce the engine braking on the wr?

• Bill

Posted July 01, 2001 - 01:14 PM

Only only know of three ways:

Turn the idle speed up
Pull in the clutch
go to YZ timing

:) :D

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted July 01, 2001 - 02:29 PM

I wish my WR had MORE engine braking!

• WR400inOZ

Posted July 01, 2001 - 03:50 PM

I can't believe how much my riding style changed when going from the 2 smoker to the thumper.. I reckon the engine breaking makes life a lot easier. After riding my mates KTM300 exc 2 smoker on Saturday I nearly ran off the first two downhill turns on the track as I forgot that there was no engine breaking :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Russ_P

Posted July 03, 2001 - 04:04 AM

I've ridden 2 smokers all my riding days and like you riding a thumper takes a little getting used to. I have had to alter my riding style a bit IE use a taller gear. Engine breaking is just a result of the beautifull compression pressure that also gives us the tourque that makes these bikes so much fun to ride. My bike is YZ timed and I did not notice a change in engine breaking myself but I also changed to 13/50 gearing at the same time. But just for fun and not at your expense here are a few ways to reduce engine breaking. Torque the spark plug properly and then back it off 1/4 turn. Adjust the exhaust valves so the never totally close. Pull the top piston compression ring next rebuild and toss it. Stack 6 head gaskets on top of each other. Grind the intake cam lobes down about half way. Or learn to enjoy the engine breaking.. it saves expensive rotors and pads! :)

'00 WR 400
Western Fab Insert, YZ timed, airbox lid removed, YZ throttle stop, Michelin S12's, UFO YZ plastic,Mobile 1.

• mcarp

Posted July 03, 2001 - 05:06 AM

Good sense of humor folks!

Bill is on the money. Besides milling down the flywheel, I suppose going to shorter gearing will help as well. If you're running stock 14/50 combo, try maybe 15/50 or 14/48.

I would personally hate those combo's for trail riding.

Instead of reducing it, use it to your advantage. Just let off the gas a little later than you are currently.

• Russ_P

Posted July 03, 2001 - 06:36 AM

That's brilliant, I never thought of the flywheel. You could maybe adapt one from a John Deer 1A. They weigh about 100 lbs. That will get rid that engine breaking problem for sure. Good luck stopping the bugger though. Another plus is the enhanced balance you'll get in the air from the gyroscopic effect! :) Dog, remember I am not poking fun at you, it's just a fun topic.

'00 WR 400
Western Fab Insert, YZ timed, airbox lid removed, YZ throttle stop, Michelin S12's, UFO YZ plastic,Mobile 1.

• Derek_Burns

Posted July 03, 2001 - 01:23 PM

that flywheel would make it a real bugger to lean into corners though

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.