new to a 98 xr600, oil level check? how?

4 replies to this topic
  • JMC

Posted October 07, 2004 - 06:09 PM

Wainting for my manual for my newly purchased xr600. In the mean time can any fellow xr riders explain the best way to check oil level. Warm or cold? Screw in dipstick or not? What wt. oil does everyone use? How much does it take? Thanks.

• RhedF350

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:21 PM

The owner's manual for the 600 says to check the oil with dipstick not threaded, just inserted and pulled out. Check it cold and level. I run Delo 15w40 and have since mine was new. No burning and no smoke so far...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pizzle600

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:40 PM

i was always told to run the bike for about 3 minutes before checking the oil. I did it cold once and ended up over filling it.

• pizzle600

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:48 PM

Decided to bust out my Haynes manual just to be safe. the manual says to allow the engine to reach normal operating temp, then stop the engine and allow it to sit in a level position for five minutes. Also to let the dipstick rest on the threads. :cry:

• JMC

Posted October 08, 2004 - 07:11 AM

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.