More black plastic and CR fender

22 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted October 07, 2004 - 02:25 PM

I grafted a 96~99 UFO Black CR250 back fender on the BRP. A while back there was a post about black plasit and a Motard guy did this...I liked it and it was easy. I trimmed the side covers a little to match with the line of the fender.
Posted Image Posted Image Got my wife to wash the Oinker Posted Image Posted Image

• BIGGITY

Posted October 07, 2004 - 02:58 PM

I just did the same thing. I have everything black (sanded them and painted them with Krylon paint and clear coat). Love it. Got the Acerbis black bark busters also. I like it a lot better than the ugly red. Don't know what I'm going to do about the red and black seat yet but that is going next. :cry:

• gav_114

Posted October 07, 2004 - 03:39 PM

how do you do it?? please ive been wanting to do it but i dont know how?
Thanks

• BWB63

Posted October 07, 2004 - 04:03 PM

Basicly there is no telling how...you just do it but, here goes....Buy a CR250 96~99 rear fender, 3/16" drill bit, a box of 3/16" 1/2" grip Aluminum rivits, fender washers with a 3/16" holes, rivits gun, and tin snips........Fender washers go on top and bottom of the rivits. Cut your stock fender off from sub frame bolt to subframe bolt, right at the ridge where your seat stops, cut all the plastic. cut the CR fender till it fits...drill holes. fender washer on the rivit...put in hole you just drilled through fenders washer on the bottom side of rivit, squeeze the rivit gun till it pops.... :cry:

• drex

Posted October 07, 2004 - 04:28 PM

Bruce, what about your tail light / blinkers? No more dual sport for you?

• BWB63

Posted October 07, 2004 - 04:58 PM

There is a cool LED stop light that Posted Image Posted Image is allot smaller then it looks in this picture. I was riding with someone that has one and he dosn't run the lens. the black lisence plate part is 2" short from being as wide as the lisence plate. To let you know how small it is It's real light and the brace goes all the way back...it is made for this kind of fender....you can get it here:
Acerbis+LED+Tail+Light~~~' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Rocky Mountain ATV
I am going with the smoked blinkers I had before.

• big t

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:40 PM

I love the black plastic. Looks great!

• big t

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:43 PM

I just did the same thing. I have everything black (sanded them and painted them with Krylon paint and clear coat). Love it. Got the Acerbis black bark busters also. I like it a lot better than the ugly red. Don't know what I'm going to do about the red and black seat yet but that is going next. :cry:

How does the paint hold up to scratching?

• BWB63

Posted October 07, 2004 - 08:13 PM

Way better then I would ever have thought. I haven't put a clear coat on it. It drys in 15 minutes but, takes seven days to cure. When running real hard down dessert washes hitting the greese woods (Creosol bushes)it took a major beating on the radiator scoops and only the edges in a few places whore through. A little paint and it was fixed. I laid it down hard a few times and had a few spots of red on the fender ...cut a small hole in a piece of paper...put the hole over the spot and paint...I repainted the scoops the secound time in a year yesterday. The back brake calliper guard, side covers and the scoops are the only things left that are painted. I have a red anodized shark fin,is still red but, the red steel braided brake lines turned pink I was trying to go black plasic with the accessories red but, I am tired of the hand guards turning pink! This is my second set in a year and they turn pink in just a couple of rides...I keep the bike inside all the time so, I am getting black ones. I wanted to have the clutch cover and stator cover red anodized but, I can't find any. I didn't want black rims so, they went gold with red rad hubs...I'll keep the tank red. I ordered the LED tail light a red anodized chain guard and the black hand guards. That should finish it.

• BIGGITY

Posted October 08, 2004 - 08:38 AM

How does the paint hold up to scratching?

I put about 7-8 layers of black paint and about 5 layers of clear coat so it's been holding up real well. I just got back from Kennedy Meadows and I crashed many many times. Hitting trees and all sorts of fun stuff. All the paint held up good. A few (1 or 2) small places there is 1/4 dime sized spots where I'll have to touch up the paint. No biggy.

My plastics were DESTROYED before I did this. ground up, deep scratches. A major mess. After starting w/ 60 grit (which took out all the scratches.. p.s. don't grind the plastic with the hand sander for too long in one place or the plastic will melt) then 100 then 150 then 220 then 320 then 420 grit (the 220 + was wet/dry paper). Plastics were soooo smooth. Just as smooth as brand new plastics. I did my rad.shouds/front & rear fender/ headlight plastic/ # plastics. Only thing not black is the seat and the Acerbis Sahara tank. Love it :cry:

P.S. the paint is Krylon Fusion, and Krylon clear coat

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted October 08, 2004 - 10:12 AM

Be careful when you re-paint...if you put heavy coats on ......well anything more then real light over the old paint it will kreankle... I got real lazy with sanding mine...samething real deap gouges I bought all the same sand paper you did turned out real nice on the radiator guards but, I quit at 100 on the side panels.....I think it made the bike look better from the front when I painted the loovers on the radiator also. :cry: I think all the talk about scratches dosn't meen much when your plasic is already waisted from hard riding...it sure beats $180 for just the side covers and the radiator scoops!
I got this picture of DirtyChris' bike Posted Image

• DirtyChris

Posted October 08, 2004 - 09:17 PM

Hey, I know that bike!
wierd looking tires though. :cry:

• BWB63

Posted October 12, 2004 - 06:46 PM

Finished :cry:
http://www.borynack....R/black_brp.htm

• BIGGITY

Posted October 13, 2004 - 09:51 AM

Funny our bikes are almost identical (lookswise). Only differences are I have the clear desert tank and a tailight. Also you have the painted rims. How much did that run you? Were they pre-painted before you bought them or did you send them out to be painted?

• BWB63

Posted October 13, 2004 - 11:48 AM

The rims are anodized Gold Excel Rims.....I think that's what you are asking...they are not painted. I bought the rims for 70% off at Chaparrals for $69 & $64. Then I bought Rad Red Anodized hubs and spokes. Click here: Rad Hubs Talon Rim locks $20 each (I have two rim locks front and back) Total cost was: $881. Iron man spocket, Titax Rotors and that bumps it up another $150. Chaparral wanted $1546 for a set :cry: and that would be without the rim locks, rotors or spocket. I think you might have ridden with the guy I got the tail light idea from....Woody, he rides a DRZ400 and likes to take lots of pictures. :cry:

• BIGGITY

Posted October 13, 2004 - 12:36 PM

Yeah I rode up w/ him at Rowher. He had the helmet cam rolling. Good guy.

Pretty pricy on those rims. Look great but not sure if I'm ready to drop that kind of coin on rims. Dez season is almost here. Can't wait. Going out in 2 weeks! :cry:

• jws

Posted October 13, 2004 - 01:37 PM

looks good bruce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BWB63

Posted October 13, 2004 - 03:52 PM

Yep, to much coin but, not much more then used stock set off ebay. I bought a rear off ebay for 290 and have seen several sets go for $650~800 so, in all do to bad for new and having the stronger spockes and all.

• BWB63

Posted October 13, 2004 - 03:59 PM

We need to go riding together sometime soon. We are tring to get another piglet fest going.

• jws

Posted October 13, 2004 - 05:36 PM

We need to go riding together sometime soon. We are tring to get another piglet fest going.

that sounds good :cry: i ll keep my eye on

http://autos.groups..../group/KidBike/

for the details :cry: :cry: :cry:

jeff :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.