have i been mis-timing my bike all along?

5 replies to this topic
  • tool

Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:59 PM

so, im doing a rebuild and flipping through the manual, in which i see that your supposed to line up the little I on the flywheel with the cams.
i have been lining up the mark on the left of the I, which somewhat resembles an H, with the cams. i cant see how i could be wrong about this - my engine has always run fine with good power. the manual is fairly clear which mark to use, and its not the H.
how is this possible? :cry:

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 07, 2004 - 01:44 PM

so, im doing a rebuild and flipping through the manual, in which i see that your supposed to line up the little I on the flywheel with the cams.
i have been lining up the mark on the left of the I, which somewhat resembles an H, with the cams. i cant see how i could be wrong about this - my engine has always run fine with good power. the manual is fairly clear which mark to use, and its not the H.
how is this possible? :cry:

don't know. I'd re-align it with the "I" if you have not done so already. I had the joy of replacing my timing chain because I jumped cam-timing and had to go through the ordeal of lining up the cams and "I" too. :cry:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted October 07, 2004 - 02:02 PM

While re-camming my '02 I had no idea what friggin' "I" the manual was talking about! There was only a few small dashes about a couple mm's in length, not some big "I" right across the flywheel like the manual shows! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted October 07, 2004 - 02:05 PM

LOL yeh I hear that. It's the vertical dashes.

• yzf_rider400

Posted October 07, 2004 - 03:07 PM

I hear that, it took me a bit to figure out where the "I" was. Now that I know it's by the "H" it's not a problem to find it.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:03 PM

Keep in mind that the 'I' (top dead center) and the 'H'(timing marks for timing at idle) are only about 6-8 degrees apart. Ten dgrees of crank rotation causes only 5 degrees of cam rotation. The cam sprokets have 32 teeth, meaning that to move a cam one tooth is to rotate it 11.25 cam degrees. So, in order to move the crank far enough to move the cam one tooth out of place, you would need to move the crank 22.5 degrees.

So don't worry about it. If you had a cam that far out of time, you would know. :cry:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.