Rim locks

25 replies to this topic
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 07, 2004 - 08:56 AM

Debating on dropping one of the rim locks on my wr 400. Has anyone done this? I would think that on lock would hold the tire good enough? Is there any major reason why I shouldn't do this? Am I missing something important?

• Jackazz

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:02 AM

My assumption is that Yamaha put two of them on there for reasons other than adding weight & making tire changes a PITA... I'd keep 'em.

Posted Image

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:12 AM

Any other reason than to keep the tire from spinning on the rim. My ttr 250 has one and no issues, not quite the power but.....

• Jackazz

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:33 AM

Any other reason than to keep the tire from spinning on the rim. My ttr 250 has one and no issues, not quite the power but.....

AFAIK, the whole purpose of rim locks is to keep the tires from spining & tearing up valve stems, & keeping the tire(s) from coming unbeaded & trashing your rim(s). I'd bet you're 400 has quite a bit more power (& weight) than the ttr250. I do wonder if a rim lock is really necessary for a front wheel, as it seems there's no where near the forces exerted on it as there are on the rear, but again, I'm operating on the idea that Yamaha knows something I do not. :cry:

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:43 AM

Casey,
The CRF 450 Honda only has one rimlock, so I'm pretty sure you could get by with only one too. :cry:
Jim

• ckulzer

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:05 AM

I am running none on the front and one on the back. No troubles here...

Ride fast - take chances.

Chad

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:05 AM

The Yamaha has two because it has so much more HP then the Honda!!! :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:41 AM

What is the problem with having 2? Changing tubes and tires with rim locks is not an issue! :cry:
If you ever have to ride back on the tire only 2 rim locks will let you granny back to your truck! :cry:

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 07, 2004 - 11:33 AM

but again, I'm operating on the idea that Yamaha knows something I do not. :cry:

You mean like their grey wire, exhaust plugs and snorkel set up.

If a crf 450 can run with one lock so can a wr 400. I may just go for it. The two locks aren't bad but one is certainly easier.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 07, 2004 - 11:35 AM

What is the problem with having 2? Changing tubes and tires with rim locks is not an issue! :cry:
If you ever have to ride back on the tire only 2 rim locks will let you granny back to your truck! :cry:

Says you. I have ridden back on a tire that had the bead destroyed cause I couldn't get the bead over the second lock. I just ran the tire till the bead blew out. Sure my technique can improve but why fight it if you don't have to. Plus it saves the all important weight :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:02 PM

You mean like their grey wire, exhaust plugs and snorkel set up...

Somehow I knew someone would post this... :cry:

No, not really like that, as those are there to deal with the emission restrictions imposed on them by specific countries. I have yet to hear that Aussi, Canuk, or Euro versions of the bike had fewer rim locks, so I can only presume that having two on the rear wheel is not a requirement put forth by an entity outside of Yamaha, but rather their engineers found it necessary. :cry:

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted October 07, 2004 - 01:06 PM

Well I am going to yank one and see how it goes. I will carry an extra tube with me for awhile.

• Gadsen

Posted October 07, 2004 - 05:59 PM

I run into this alot at work, folks second guessing the engineers! If it didn't need it, you bet it wouldnt be there. Now if you drop your compression down to maybe 9.0:1, you may not need it.

• RCannon

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Dont try to skip the front rim lock if you ever use your front brake. It does not work. I tried it when repairing a flat on Sunday morning. The stock rim lock virtually fell apart when I removed the tire. I thought .."Lets try it>"

It worked for darn near 10 minutes before the valve stem was ripped off.

• briter

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:36 PM

A good buddy of mine has been riding a wr450f for over a year. It was originally sold with 2 locks on the back tire. He fought both thru the first tire change, then took one of them off for the second new tire. He's been running now for about 6 months with the single lock without any problems. NO tube stems cut or spinning tires on the wheel, I think you could get away with it if you want too. :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 08, 2004 - 03:51 AM

You guys that are dumping them really need to practice changing tires. The rim locks are easy to deal with! They present no problems with the right tools and technique. :cry: I am thinking of adding one to the front to balance the wheel for high speed desert conditions! Does anyone add weights to their wheels to balance them for high speeds? :cry:

• Sylvain

Posted October 08, 2004 - 04:58 AM

I do wonder if a rim lock is really necessary for a front wheel

IMO based on fact, a front wheel rim lock will prevent the front tire from spinning on the rim after a flat. Especially when you are far away from the trailer and you have to ride some nasty downhills.

You will keep some control on the descent. :cry:

• jchantzWR400F

Posted October 08, 2004 - 06:40 AM

I've been running 1 in the rear for about 1 year and have not had any problems. I took the second out after the first tire change. Now, that I've gotten better at changing tires, I would have left it in. Either way, I've not experienced a problem.

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted October 09, 2004 - 06:08 AM

Indy,
I ran a post about wheel weights on dirt bikes and got no response. :cry: I PM'd you about my bike riding really squirrely, thinking it was just different tires that I wasn't used to.
MY REVELATION: It wasn't any fault of the tires, it was because the dude that put my new tires on (supposedly) balanced them. There were 2 huge weights on each wheel. I pulled them off on the trail out of disgust, hoping that they were the cause of my problem. IT WAS!
Finally!! The bike rode like it should. Weird. Unbalanced? or just not necessary?

• chipwich

Posted October 09, 2004 - 08:36 AM

my '04 came from the factory balanced really well, i.e. no weights needed. this was much to the consternation of my riding buddy on his '04 exc450, which goes hop, hop, hop as we go down the road together :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.