Brief opinion needed on rideability of WR 450...

4 replies to this topic
  • vrecksler

Posted October 06, 2004 - 08:50 PM

Hello all, I am looking to get some feedback on the 450 as it is going to be my next bike. This WR will see both street and dirt, but mostly street (80/20) in supermoto setup.

My last dual duty bike was a DRZ 400S, and while it was a nice bike it was a little slow for street use and a lot heavy for dirt use. On of the reasons why I bought a YZ 250F shortly after and I absolutley loved that bike! So my thinking is the best of both worlds would be a competent off road machine with enough power and driveability for the street.

So is the WR suitable for my purposes? It seems to be the perfect dual sport bike and I have heard awesome things about it, but thought I would get the opinion of the TT faithful. :cry:

• jhteneyck

Posted October 07, 2004 - 06:16 AM

Depending on the speeds you plan on sustaining you may need to play with the gearing. With a 5 speed tranny you will be pulling more RPM's and therefore drinking the fuel. The WR gets thirsty at the higher RPM range. With a motard setup it should be a fun bike. Would love to biuld one myself but dont have the $$$$.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chipwich

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:49 AM

Here was a really awesome one that was sold on ebay: WR450 Supermotard

Posted Image

I lower the rear sprocket a few teeth and disconnect the TPS. That would make a pretty nice street ride. I've ridden mine on the street a few hundred miles, and my only complaint is that the stock gearing is a bit low for highway use.

• r_dawg1021

Posted October 07, 2004 - 08:01 AM

Did you sell that Duke yet? :cry:

• vrecksler

Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the replies so far (Duke is not sold yet, ebay now holds my fate) and I did see that WR on ebay a couple weeks back; I drooled over the picture quite a bit and look foward to having my own version sometime soon.

I did have a question about oil capacity: I know of guys who have converted CRF's and they have had to add an oil resevoir to increase its capacity when riding and I was wondering if the WR was similar.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.