couple potental 426 buyer question?

17 replies to this topic
  • YFM660R

Posted October 06, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Iam planning on buyign a used 02 426 this spring. i have had many quads, right now a raptor. Iam 15 5'10 170 do u think i will be able to handel this bike. Now for the questions..
Is this bike riliable?
How is it on gas and what kinda gas?
How often do u change to oil?
What doe it redline at?
Is it a good hill climber?
What gear cna u get the front end up on?
How the suspension/Handaling compared to raptor?
What power liek compare to raptor?
Is it easy to get more power out of?Not that ill need it.
Would i be to short/small for this bike iam 5'10 170 POUNDS?
Is it a good trail bike? I wouldnt be racing. agressive trail ridding lots of hill climbing in the sand is what it would be used for. thnx?

• bushy

Posted October 06, 2004 - 01:56 PM

I am 5' 8" 140. I fit just fine.

• Satch0922

Posted October 06, 2004 - 05:02 PM

1. the 02 is very "reliable"
2. It burns gas ...but 93 octane pump gas works just fine
3. you will get alot of opinions on this one. You need to change it at least every 5 hours of operation ....and clean/replace the filter. It depends on what type of riding you do, how good/fast of a rider you are, what type oil you use etc etc
4. It redlines right after it throws you off the back
5. Are you a good hill climber? The bike will go if you can stay on it
6. You can get the front end up in any gear if you are creative...1-3 gear is no problem though
7. You can't compare an MX bike to a "couch".
8. again...you can't compare the two. A 426 has plenty of power for an inexperienced rider like yourself
9. more power?? yes but you wont need it
10. you would fit perfectly on the bike
11. yes it is a good trail bike.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Re: response from Satch

1) agree, but there must be a better word to use than reliable. They're nearly indestructible.
2) true
3) I don't keep track of time, so I change every 3 rides, unless something odd happens, like when my son let the the clutch run out of free play and got it hot. Then I change it right away. Oil's cheap. the air filter depends on whether I've been mostly in front, or mostly in back, but in dusty SoCal, never more than 3 rides between cleaning.
4)What he said. I think the rev limiter hits at 10,000
5)Yup. If there's a trail of any kind a 426 can climb it.
6)Fourth gear, even. George (the guy who doesn't change his oil) does it all the time.
7)ditto. Besides, all motorcycles handle better than any quad (that should start something, no?)
8) The power is big, and it is always there. But it is a little like comparing the power of an R6 to a Z28.
9) ditto again. Ask this question after you've had it a year.
10) ditto
11) another understatement

For various reasons, I prefer the YZ450, but let's face it, the YZ426 is one of the best motorcycles ever built.

• dkipz

Posted October 07, 2004 - 06:13 AM

I have an 01 426, and my riding buddy has an 04 raptor. He's ridden my bike once. Up the hill, then back down the hill. His only words: "Give me my quad back. You're nuts." That's the only (firsthand) knowledge I have regarding power between the two.

• YFM660R

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Also what is the top speed? And on a tank of gas how far couldu go say under just normal fast trilridding condition going say 1/4to 3/4 thottle. and can u get a bigger gas tank for them?if so how much bigger? and are they anoyying like the larger ones on quads were there is a huge hump on the top of the gas tank

• Satch0922

Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:44 AM

not trying to be rude but what other questions could someone possibly have ?? My advice is forget it...you won't be happy because you don't know what you want.

JMHO

• ripntear

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:08 AM

Your questions are ones that we all have had but now know the answers to....because we bought the bike and found out for ourselves. You can wonder yourself to death and never know unless you get on one, ride it and get to know it. If you don't like it or it dosen't fit you...sell it!

I have an '01 that I recently bought and have only ridden twice. Both times I was amazed with the bike. You will love the power/torque and overall handeling this bike offers. It's not a 2 stroke and you won't be able to ride it like one. But for me, learning a different riding style has been part of the fun.

Satch may be right that you are not sure what you want, so if you can ride before you buy I would highly recommend doing that.

ripntear :cry:

• ceetwarrior

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:27 AM

These guys are right. Trial and error. Too many questions to answer for dumb reasons. Power, like they said, first off you can't compare quads to bikes. I used to race quads and then I got a bike.. Raptor has about 25hp, 426f has 45 with HALF the weight. Big difference.

Why don't you get a YFZ450 quad?? Best of both worlds. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • berudd

Posted October 07, 2004 - 11:58 AM

top speed - very fast, more than you need
distance on one tank - way more than a 250 2 stroke.

My concern is that if you are asking how a bike and quad compare then maybe you should stay on the quad.

• SureBlue

Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:08 PM

[/QUOTE] so if you can ride before you buy I would highly recommend doing that.

ripntear :cry:

[/QUOTE]

Try it first, it's another world.
BTW YFM660R - don't they teach spelling at school any longer? :cry:

• OU182

Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:33 PM

make sure you have plenty of $$$$$ for repairs(or daddy does) :cry:

• bushy

Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:40 PM

Make sure you have plenty of $$$ for medical bills for when you open it up. :cry:

• YFM660R

Posted October 07, 2004 - 06:27 PM

No need for paying any medical bills, I live in canada. And also the reson iam comparing it to my raptor is becuase i have never drivin any kind of dirt bike. So i dont have any dirtbike expereances to compare it to. Iam Prety sure i want a dirt bike, Becuase i want something with more POWER,BETTER,HANDALING,MORE CHALLENGING .And every one i talk to say's that that would be a dirtbike. I will try to get a rider on one before i buy though Iam chooseing between a YZ250F & YZ426F thnx

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted October 08, 2004 - 12:49 PM

Let me interject here.....

I had a Honda TRX250R quad for 10 years.... fast, good handling quad. The first time I rode my 426 I couldn't imagine going back to a quad, ever!
The power, manuverability and suspension as so far beyond of what a quad can offer its ridiculous. It will fell very bizarre at first, but once you get the feel for it you'll be in love. Trust me!

Dont be intimidated by the bike or by these guys..... a 426 will haul supreme ass when you want it to, but its also a very easy to ride bike. I learned to ride on mine.
Go for it!

• RJB

Posted October 08, 2004 - 02:32 PM

Its an awesome bike. I have an 02 and it is built like a rock, only a whole lot faster. I have been away from riding bikes for quite some years and I love it. It's a geat all rounder, so if you want it for MX or trails it'll work fine. JMHO

• YFM660R

Posted October 08, 2004 - 08:14 PM

thx for the replys guy's

• mudhog

Posted October 09, 2004 - 10:36 PM

I recently bought a 426 and haven't regretted it, not even once. It's a great bike that's super reliable, powerful, fast and most of all FUN! I've ridden a lot of different types of bikes; 2-stroke, 4-stroke and, yes, even quads :cry: and I love my 426. It does so many things well. My only advice would be for you to sit on one on uneven terrain. These bikes are tall and that can lead to very exciting events in the woods. Good luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.