couple potental 426 buyer question?
Posted October 06, 2004 - 01:45 PM
Is this bike riliable?
How is it on gas and what kinda gas?
How often do u change to oil?
What doe it redline at?
Is it a good hill climber?
What gear cna u get the front end up on?
How the suspension/Handaling compared to raptor?
What power liek compare to raptor?
Is it easy to get more power out of?Not that ill need it.
Would i be to short/small for this bike iam 5'10 170 POUNDS?
Is it a good trail bike? I wouldnt be racing. agressive trail ridding lots of hill climbing in the sand is what it would be used for. thnx?
Posted October 06, 2004 - 05:02 PM
2. It burns gas ...but 93 octane pump gas works just fine
3. you will get alot of opinions on this one. You need to change it at least every 5 hours of operation ....and clean/replace the filter. It depends on what type of riding you do, how good/fast of a rider you are, what type oil you use etc etc
4. It redlines right after it throws you off the back
5. Are you a good hill climber? The bike will go if you can stay on it
6. You can get the front end up in any gear if you are creative...1-3 gear is no problem though
7. You can't compare an MX bike to a "couch".
8. again...you can't compare the two. A 426 has plenty of power for an inexperienced rider like yourself
9. more power?? yes but you wont need it
10. you would fit perfectly on the bike
11. yes it is a good trail bike.
Posted October 06, 2004 - 06:02 PM
1) agree, but there must be a better word to use than reliable. They're nearly indestructible.
3) I don't keep track of time, so I change every 3 rides, unless something odd happens, like when my son let the the clutch run out of free play and got it hot. Then I change it right away. Oil's cheap. the air filter depends on whether I've been mostly in front, or mostly in back, but in dusty SoCal, never more than 3 rides between cleaning.
4)What he said. I think the rev limiter hits at 10,000
5)Yup. If there's a trail of any kind a 426 can climb it.
6)Fourth gear, even. George (the guy who doesn't change his oil) does it all the time.
7)ditto. Besides, all motorcycles handle better than any quad (that should start something, no?)
8) The power is big, and it is always there. But it is a little like comparing the power of an R6 to a Z28.
9) ditto again. Ask this question after you've had it a year.
11) another understatement
For various reasons, I prefer the YZ450, but let's face it, the YZ426 is one of the best motorcycles ever built.
Posted October 07, 2004 - 06:13 AM
Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:24 AM
Posted October 07, 2004 - 09:44 AM
Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:08 AM
I have an '01 that I recently bought and have only ridden twice. Both times I was amazed with the bike. You will love the power/torque and overall handeling this bike offers. It's not a 2 stroke and you won't be able to ride it like one. But for me, learning a different riding style has been part of the fun.
Satch may be right that you are not sure what you want, so if you can ride before you buy I would highly recommend doing that.
Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:27 AM
Why don't you get a YFZ450 quad?? Best of both worlds.
Posted October 07, 2004 - 11:58 AM
distance on one tank - way more than a 250 2 stroke.
My concern is that if you are asking how a bike and quad compare then maybe you should stay on the quad.
Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:08 PM
Try it first, it's another world.
BTW YFM660R - don't they teach spelling at school any longer?
Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:33 PM
Posted October 07, 2004 - 12:40 PM
Posted October 07, 2004 - 06:27 PM
Posted October 08, 2004 - 12:49 PM
I had a Honda TRX250R quad for 10 years.... fast, good handling quad. The first time I rode my 426 I couldn't imagine going back to a quad, ever!
The power, manuverability and suspension as so far beyond of what a quad can offer its ridiculous. It will fell very bizarre at first, but once you get the feel for it you'll be in love. Trust me!
Dont be intimidated by the bike or by these guys..... a 426 will haul supreme ass when you want it to, but its also a very easy to ride bike. I learned to ride on mine.
Go for it!
Posted October 08, 2004 - 02:32 PM
Posted October 09, 2004 - 10:36 PM
Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450
YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard
First Hare scramble tips by dhend8