Steel Gas Tanks?

Well I am no old head here by far, but that question is a new one for me. Why would you want a metal tank? DOT dose not require a metal tank, many Dual sports use one only because of manufactures liabilitys on on off road biks. Well, thats what I have herd anyway.

Originally posted by WR_Jason:

Well I am no old head here by far, but that question is a new one for me. Why would you want a metal tank? DOT dose not require a metal tank, many Dual sports use one only because of manufactures liabilitys on on off road biks. Well, thats what I have herd anyway.

I've spoken with a couple of inspection mechanics here in PA and they say they won't inspect it with a plastic tank. I've also contacted the dmv in Harrisburg and they say the stock tank is fine. I've told the mechanics this and they said their manual says the tank has to be metal. That is the reason for my question. These are the guys I deal with and I don't want to tick them off by getting into a pissing contest.

Thanks for the reply

BMW streetbikes come with plastic tanks stock. The WR was never sold as a dual sport here in the US - so no metal tanks for it. Save yourself the bother and money and find a different place to get it inspected - it will be easier.

Maybe you can get BBR to fab you one out of aluminum for a grand or so...

- Sean

Im in PA too, they did at one time have to be steel, but they dont have to be steel now. If you dont want to tick the guys off, I would recomend going to the bike bone yard and finding one that can be make to work, paint it blue, get the sticker and toss the tank. Where in Pa are you? I know some good spots for used dirt bike stuff! You jsut have to dig through the piles ? . Do you have a street title? If so how did you get it and how hard was it?

Woo hooo, thats a mid state haul. Good thing is your close to Harrisburg for all your DOT back and fourth trips. Well, If you get stuck looking for a used tank let me know, Ill slug through the pile next time I go. I need a mono shock for my old ride, YZ 250.