Frame Number

6 replies to this topic
  • Thumperstu

Posted October 05, 2004 - 01:15 PM

Well here goes my first post from over here in the UK. As the forum is a mine field of info who better to ask than you lot!!! Just bought my first 4 stroke but need some help to indentify age and model, was bought as YZ400F 2000 model but appears to be possibly a 98 WR400F. Yamaha uk have no record of the frame number ever been sold in the uk so im trying to find out if its an import, the engine number appears to be that of a 98 pre-production bike to add to the confussion :cry:
Any help greatly appreciated

• r1superstar

Posted October 05, 2004 - 03:42 PM

Well here goes my first post from over here in the UK. As the forum is a mine field of info who better to ask than you lot!!! Just bought my first 4 stroke but need some help to indentify age and model, was bought as YZ400F 2000 model but appears to be possibly a 98 WR400F. Yamaha uk have no record of the frame number ever been sold in the uk so im trying to find out if its an import, the engine number appears to be that of a 98 pre-production bike to add to the confussion :cry:
Any help greatly appreciated

If I'm not mistaken, the tenth digit always denotes the year it was made.

• Thumperstu

Posted October 06, 2004 - 08:10 AM

still a mystery, number as follows
JYACH01W3WA001674

engine number
H304E 0015

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumperstu

Posted October 06, 2004 - 02:46 PM

Found out today its a '98 wr400 but still unable to determine its origin, the possability that its a pre-production bike could be the reason its not registered as being sold to the public.
:cry:

• Maddog542

Posted October 07, 2004 - 07:21 PM

It very well could be possible that is was stolen in the USA also and then shipped out and given some bogus frame number that Yamaha never used. Many Harley Davidson theft rings have followed that exact same pattern. Steal them and ship them overseas. :cry:

• 5valve

Posted October 08, 2004 - 01:49 AM

does it have the hot start (red) button on the carb or mounted on the frame?
-on the carb 2000 and beyond
-on the frame 98, 99

• Thumperstu

Posted October 08, 2004 - 05:26 AM

its mounted to the frame, apparently the 'w' means its 98.
thanks for the advise guys :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.