Need input on D/S 600/650

1 reply to this topic
  • Thumpster

Posted May 05, 2002 - 09:03 PM

I'm looking into a dual sport XL/XR 600/650 to cruise the back roads with my wife this summer. The usage would be 70% street/30%Dirt. Years ago I owned an '84 XR 500 and liked the bike except for the weight in the tight woods!

My questions are:

1. How are your older mid '80's to '90's XRs/XLs holding up?

2. How is parts availability on the '80s models?

I have my YZ 400F for the woods so that area is covered. I don't want to buy a new Honda, that's why I'm looking at older machines.

Your input is much appreciated, thank you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cyclenut51

Posted May 05, 2002 - 11:31 AM

Hey Thumpster,

I'm a former owner of a '93 XR650L with 15-20lb weight trimming, Pirelli tires, jetting/exhaust, etc. It was comfy on the street, and survived at Budds Creek Motocross Park, Maryland (although I don't recommend it for MX). I found it to be very capable- I only sold it because I gave up on street riding entirely. Me wife LOVED that bike. Not only was she a happy passenger, she also rode it with ME on the back. I believe you can find these early versions ('93 was the first) for around $2000. Pay attention to oil consumption, and be sure to richen the main jet 20 pts when you remove the oxygen canister. It's a great bike for dual sport. PM me for details if you want.

'01 YZ250F 49T, SDG seat, Vortex on the way
'99 BBR custom CR125/XR220 (wife's)
'02 TTR125L BBR everything
'02 TTR125L BBR everything (wife's) :D :)

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.