Baja Designs...A+...

6 replies to this topic
  • billyj7175

Posted May 04, 2002 - 09:10 PM

I installed a Baja Designs dual sport kit last night, and I must say, the component quality and directions are some of the best I've ever come across. I installed the kit in about 3 hours, taking my time. Anybody out there considering a Dualsport kit, should heavily consider Baja Designs...!!!

• dr_penner

Posted May 05, 2002 - 09:02 PM

Glad to hear it! I just ordered the kit from Baja Designs this week and will be expecting it in the mail soon. Will let the group know how installation and registration goes.

billyj: How sturdy does the kit seem? Do you think the signals will survive a typical fall?

Kurt Penner

• Razorback

Posted May 05, 2002 - 11:07 AM

I installed the same kit on my old KLX and the instructions are very good.The hard part is the DMV registration.The kit comes with all the paperwork but if the person at the DMV is not fimiliar with the process it can be a nightmare.It took me over an hour to do mine but I made it through with only one trip.When I bought my 400 the kit was installed and the dealer took care of the plate so that made it really cool.Hopefully the DMV people in your area know how to do it.Good Luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim_Scheide

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:06 AM

Second that A+ on Baja Designs...for one-stop shopping, they're hard to beat & have incredible knowledge/customer service!! Helped me with all the 650L mods!!

• lookatdirt

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:36 AM

If you want to get a plate in Kalifornia, I'm pretty sure you need to have the pink slip (no lien holder). Anyone contemplating laying down 400 bucks for the kit and doesn't hold a free and clear title on the bike may want to check this out. That said, I put a Baja Designs kit on my bike a year ago. Damage so far- 1 broken tail-light and the hydraulic brake switch needed replacing. Not too bad considering 99% of my riding is done off-road. Going to the store for a gallon of milk has never been so fun, since I got my plate!.

• HOOLPE

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:08 AM

The only drawback to the BD 650 kit is the rear tail light. It hangs below the fender and will
catch on the tire. After destroying mine and losing my license plate in the process, I went with an Acerbis light that mounted above the fender (this is the same light that comes with the XR400 kit).

• billyj7175

Posted May 08, 2002 - 06:10 PM

DR,
Baja Designs claims that the turn signals are copies of the ones that KTM uses on their RXC. I happen to have a buddy who has a 620 RXC, and his stock turn signals have held up really, really well. The fronts are tucked in real close and with some triple clamp mounted bark busters, they should be okay. The rears do stick out into the open, especially on the left side. I've whacked the left side pretty hard, several times getting on/off of the bike, and they are tougher than the stock ones I used to have on my old DR 350. I plan on replacing the rears with flush mounts after my inspection, and saving the old ones for spares for the front. I have yet to touch the sides of my bike down on terra firma yet, but I know it's inevitable...hahaha. I'll let you know how they hold up then.
As far as the rear tailight, I'm going to trim the end off flush with the plate. If I wasn't worried about getting rear ended at a stoplight, I would just remove it, and go with the stock light w/dual bulbs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.