Pulled over by the cops!

5 replies to this topic
  • Copperglobe

Posted May 03, 2002 - 10:11 PM

I got pulled over by the cops tonight on my 2001 XR650R. I was riding on the street but I have it street legal here in my state. The problem was that the cops don't know what the requirements are for a street legal bike! Here in Utah, you need a head lamp, horn, left mirror, tail lamp, and brake lamp. You also need brakes (now thats an idea). However, according to the policeman that pulled me over I need turn signals, license plate mounted to be perpendicular to the line of sight from behind, DOT tires, yada, yada, yada. Finally, another officer came by and they both got on the radio to their station and were told that they didn't know exactly what the law says. This was after I requested Utah code numbers for the violations that they were going to give me.

To make a long story somewhat short, I came home and got on the net and downloaded the codes for motorcycle laws that affect making a bike street legal. I made a copy and put them in the tool kit of the bike. The next time I get pulled over, and I'm sure it'll happen, I'll have chapter and verse of what the law really says.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against law enforcement. I was very cordial with them tonight. They are just doing their job. Better safe than sorry. :)

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted May 04, 2002 - 04:10 AM

Brilliant idea, glad everything turned out well.

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 04, 2002 - 01:02 PM

The donut shop must have been closed!

hAha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mr660

Posted May 06, 2002 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like they have been smoked by the bandits to many times that are not legal, so you took the scolding! Good luck when you whip out the literature they should already know! Good thinking!!

• lookatdirt

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:25 AM

Where did you go on the net to find this information? I'd like to check it out.

• Copperglobe

Posted May 08, 2002 - 09:23 PM

In California you can go to the following site:State of California laws and regulations search

I live in Utah and went to their state web site and did a search under "motorcycle". All laws and regulations that had anything to do with motorcycles were listed. It was interesting to find out what the actual law says compared to what agencies, police, motorcycle dealers, etc. say that the law is. There is a lot of mis-information out there and much is coming from dealers that want to sell items that are not needed.

I'm sure many, if not all, of the states have a simular web site to find out what each state requires. Hope this helps. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.