I think it's time to add weight to the flywheel, what's best?

28 replies to this topic
  • MaxAZ

Posted October 04, 2004 - 05:32 PM

I primarily use my bike for desert and enduro riding. And lately I've been getting more into the technical single track trails where there's more basketball sized rocks than dirt. I've had enough of stalling on rocky rutted uphill climbs and I think I want to add a little weight on the flywheel. I've heard it's a simple job but how much weight do you typically add and what are the best vendors to get the weights from? I'm not an expert rider or anything but I don't want to give up much throttle response off the botom by over-weighting.

• Fastest1

Posted October 04, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Of course I will vote for an auto clutch first but that is me. Any weight added to the crank will decrease stalling, do you do any track riding? Throttle response will be more affected the heavier you go. I would think a 4oz weight would be a good all around weight. Dubach, Zip Ty all sell flywheel weights, some bolt on and some you change the flywheel or weld on.

• rush66

Posted October 04, 2004 - 06:18 PM

an auto clutch would be awesome if they made one for the 400 rekluse doesn't have one out yet. fly wheel weight next best thing I went with the zipty drill and tap 10oz since I mainly trail ride with minimal moto. the 400 stalls easy I'd go with a 6oz for moto and 8oz for both and the bike does rev a little bit slower but still has plenty of pop. Less stalling more tractable and smoother it's a great mod.

• MaxAZ

Posted October 04, 2004 - 06:21 PM

Do the weights ever have to be balanced like half on one side and half on the other?

• Chipstien

Posted October 04, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Go with a 10 or 12. I don't feel the "difference per dollar" is worth it with less then 10. Maybe an 8. Don't go less then 8 unless you MX. :cry:

• John407

Posted October 04, 2004 - 09:31 PM

Actually I MX with a 10oz Steahy bolt on. I would not ride without it.

• gonzo

Posted October 05, 2004 - 03:53 AM

I like the Dubach 6oz. Didnt do much to the power and I can go from a dead stop out of a corner in third. Also he offers multiple sizes and if one doesnt work you can exchange it.

• GreggT

Posted October 05, 2004 - 05:48 AM

I have a Zipty 12oz. It is very easy to put on. I ride desert.

• MaxAZ

Posted October 05, 2004 - 02:11 PM

I guess it'll be somewhere between 6 and 10. Maybe split the difference and use 8. The Dubach exchange policy sounds good. Any TT sponsors sell these?

• klokard

Posted October 05, 2004 - 02:59 PM

Max,
I had a 12 oz flywheel weight added to my 426 and it made a world of difference. I wasn't to big on the idea of bolt on weights and found a guy that will weld on the amount you want and then balance it on a lathe. Email me if interested in this alternative and I will send you the info.
The downside is you have to send him your flywheel. Turn around time was less than 1 week.
Charlie
chwilli@cox.net

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxAZ

Posted October 05, 2004 - 06:11 PM

That sounds really cool having it balanced out but I think I'll either go with a bolt on or maybe weld one on myself. What would the drawbacks be to a bolt on? I wouldn't think it would back out and it's not like there aren't already bolts on there, right.

• klokard

Posted October 06, 2004 - 02:17 PM

Max,
My thinking is that these motors turn over at some pretty high RPM's at times. When you are spinning that kind of revolutions, I just liked the idea that it was balanced and welded. Just a few grams out of balance multiplied by 10,000 RPM's can be significant. I am not putting down the bolt on kits, I just prefered to have one welded and balanced.

• spinyard

Posted October 06, 2004 - 02:38 PM

Depends what your using it for, woods and rocks they are great. Personally I like it without the weight because it revs faster and is more violent. But you have to be really good with the clutch, not to stall on rocks and real technical stuff. I love my clutch, have tried an auto clutch, and would never put one on it. I already have an xr50. :cry:

• mikemac61

Posted October 07, 2004 - 08:49 AM

I have a Steahly 10oz. on my '02 426. I ride tight single track regularly and the flywheel weight really made a difference for me. I'm a little old fashioned in that I believe a real motorcycle has a clutch so I'm not real keen on the auto-clutch idea though I'm sure it makes life a bit easier. But then again, if I wanted to take it easy I'd play golf on the weekends instead of trying to tame the blue beast in the woods. For me the ideal set up for the 426 is the 10oz. flywheel weight, a hydraulic clutch, and the Hot Cams auto-decomp exhaust cam swap.

• lilmule400

Posted October 08, 2004 - 07:16 AM

I'd like to add a weight too, but don't feel like spending $150. Can anybody give me the thicknessso I can make my own (I assume we're working with aluminum)? I'm thinking $30 for something turned to my specs would be reasonable. Any help would be appreciated. 98 yz400

• MaxAZ

Posted October 14, 2004 - 06:07 PM

$135 for a Zip-Ty 8oz. Can someone explain to me why these things are so expensive? Seems awful high to me.

• Chipstien

Posted October 14, 2004 - 06:31 PM

I'd like to add a weight too, but don't feel like spending $150. Can anybody give me the thicknessso I can make my own (I assume we're working with aluminum)? I'm thinking $30 for something turned to my specs would be reasonable. Any help would be appreciated. 98 yz400

Not Aluminum.... Steel. :cry:

• 426mankiller

Posted October 14, 2004 - 07:04 PM

I have a 12oz Steahly flywheel for my riding in the woods and rocks. The bike still has alot of bite so I can't imagine if less weight would do any good(?). Steahly sells a complete flywheel for $200, but it is balanced and ready to put on and you still have your stock flywheel to pop back on if you want to MX.

• exIT

Posted October 14, 2004 - 09:19 PM

"I'd like to add a weight too, but don't feel like spending $150. Can anybody give me the thicknessso I can make my own (I assume we're working with aluminum)? I'm thinking $30 for something turned to my specs would be reasonable. Any help would be appreciated."

The weight I installed for a friend included the weight, misc. longer bolts, and a spacer to space the ignition cover out enough to provide clearance for the weight.

I suppose you could make your own by welding a stack of tuna can lids to the flywheel and using 10-15 side cover gaskets to create the space. Thirty bucks ought to about do it.

• 99raptor

Posted October 31, 2004 - 08:29 AM

i put on a 12oz i got from rocky mtn atv. it bolts to the existing flywheel so you don't have to worry about removing the stocker.about 90$ and a 20 minute job. you won't regret it. it made a fantastic difference to me :cry: :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.