YZ450 suspensions

5 replies to this topic
  • cloute

Posted October 04, 2004 - 04:36 PM

Hi, every time I land a jump, both front and rear shocks go down all the way. Next year I'm planning on sending my suspension being done somewhere, I haven't decided where yet. For now I'd like to know what kind of adjustment I can do to help in landings.

I weight 170lbs and I ride intermediate. Settings are pretty stock, I just stiffen everything of 2 clicks, didn't help that much. My bike is a 2004. Thanks for helping guys. :cry:

• John407

Posted October 04, 2004 - 09:36 PM

Are you sure that you are bottoming both ends? I weigh 210 (if I don't eat for a week) and my '03 springs are great. I didn't think that Yamaha put lighter springs in '04.

• mx_crash

Posted October 05, 2004 - 04:31 AM

I'm 'c grade' 165lbs vet and race on the sand mostly, I had a similar problem on a big tabletop which I can't clear yet and the front felt like it would bottom out. I ended up raising the fork oil to the max height.

How old is your oil, new oil and the same settings makes a big diff.

I'm also gradually stiffening up the thing, so far about 4 click on the rear and 5 on the front and she is really starting to handle the whooped out straights and corners quite well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cloute

Posted October 05, 2004 - 03:51 PM

Yes unfortunately they are both bottoming...

My fork oil is about 25 rides old since july roughly, what is the stock quantity they put in? how much did you add more?

When you say you're 4 clicks on the rear and 5 in front, is it from all the way in or out? compression or rebound?

• steg211

Posted October 05, 2004 - 07:10 PM

Landing on the down side always helps :cry: But seriously, keep turning the clickers in and see if it gets better. Nothing wrong with having them all the way in. My front comp. is 2 clicks out(from all the way in), I need stiffer springs. You may also. I usually add fork oil in increments of 10mm's. Remember when comparing fork oil hieghts you measure the amt. of air space from your oil level to the top of the forks.
Hope this helps.
later. :cry:

• mx_crash

Posted October 08, 2004 - 06:41 PM

The settings were from number of clicks in from what the bike came as std, just checked what they are actually set to

comp. 5
reb. 8

Low speed comp. 11
High speed comp. 1 turn
rebound 11

Your oil must be getting close to needing a change.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.