Clip type masterlink for xr 650r ?

1 reply to this topic
  • xcar

Posted May 02, 2002 - 05:28 PM

Hey,has anyone replaced the stock chain,wich is a staked masterlink with a standard type clip master link, is it ok?I have used the clip type on my cr 500 in the past had no problems,thanks for any help.

01 650r

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • M.Stone

Posted May 03, 2002 - 01:14 PM

The following is a quote from HRC's "XR 650 race prep tips":

The stock chain uses a staked/clip-less master link (endless chain). Using a chain with a master link is asking for a race failure. A bike with this much torque will break conventional clip-type master-links.

Honda sells a DID ERV2 chain (O-ring with staked master-link). DID520ERV2-120 is the part number, 4092334 is the Honda code. It is expensive but it is the best chain available. We have been using this grade chain since 1994. A special tool is required for staking the master-link (also available at your Honda dealer). The stock XR650R chain is also very high quality and meets or exceeds the ERV2 strength measurements.

(I assume the stock XR650 chain comes pre-staked, so you remove the swingarm to install. I replaced the chain on my ZX-11 with the OEM endless chain, and that is how it came from Kawasaki. When I replaced the ZX-11 chain at 35,000 miles, it was still within spec, even though the bike has not spent much time below 100 mph).

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.