ramparts advice

2 replies to this topic
  • dr_penner

Posted May 01, 2002 - 05:42 PM

I bought a pair of ramparts; you know, those heavy metal brackets that you attach to the end of a 2x8" board to turn it into a ramp. I tried it for the first time tonight loading the new BRP into my father-in-law's Chevy S-10.

I was a little taken aback by how easily they want to slide out of position when I get near the top of the ramp. This is aggravated by the up and down shifting of the truck bed as the bike compresses the suspension. Next I will be trying to secure it with a small sheet metal screw that dad uses to hold the tailgate bracket on. If it were my own truck I'd secure it a lot more aggressively.

I was also rather surprised at how low of a truck bed they expect you to have. More precisely if the top of the ramp is more than 2 feet off the ground they expect you to brace it from underneath with more wood. Not that this is very hard, but it's not the very simple solution that it seems to be at first.

Any tips?

Kurt Penner

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted May 02, 2002 - 11:09 AM

Line the bracket that sits on the tail gate with rubber, maybe from an old tub. Won't slip then.

My $.04..

Dodger :) :D

• 10SE_Michael

Posted May 02, 2002 - 08:30 PM

I bought a kit with the ramp ends at Lowes. It came with rubber stickons where the bed touches the ramp and 2 metal pins per ramp that go thru the aluminum ramp ends into holes drilled in the pickup tailgate.
I bought the two ramp kit and a 10 foot 2 by 8. Cut the 2 by 8 into two 5 foot sections and attached the ramp ends to each. Laid them side by side and used galvanized deck screws to attach 2 by 2 (a split 2 by 4) crossmembers to the bottom of the now joined ramps. So then you have a 16 inch wide ramp that is very durable. I built it to drag rocks into my pickup too. Total cost was $30 or so.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.