Gold valve install = Bad Crash?

8 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted October 04, 2004 - 10:47 AM

I didn't know what to call this post but, that's close enough.
It wasn't the gold valve but, the way it was put together.

A while back some of you might remember someone off this group broke his neck out at Ocotilio Well. I have his shock here and didn't take it apart till this morning.........
it was done at a big name place that most of all of you have bought or have parts from.

Hard anodized inside out, gold valve.....the works!

Bottom line there were no threads in the nut! No, it wasn't the pressure of a crash that ripped the threeds out......it never had threads! it caught the side of the nut a little and you can see where the rod cought the valve. What a bummer to think that this crash was caused my a bad nut!

• Kritter

Posted October 04, 2004 - 06:14 PM

which nut? the 12mm nut on top of the shim stack? or one of the nuts that fastens the bolt that holds the shock in?

if it was the one on top of the shaft...was it just floating around inside the shock body?

How did he crash? Did the shock pack up and send him over the bars?

• mikekay

Posted October 04, 2004 - 07:36 PM

would that be a big name company from Temecula, Corona, Hesperia, or Phelan?

enquiring minds wants to knows...

• Rickyracer

Posted October 04, 2004 - 07:49 PM

Hello All,
I bought my Bike from Thumpdaddy, the rider who broke his neck and he told me that the shock blew out during the accident and he had the same shock fixed before I purchased the bike. The Subframe was also bent, but was also taken care of.
Where did this shock come from?
Thanks,
Ricky

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted October 04, 2004 - 08:20 PM

enquiring minds wants to knows...

I dunno, but it would be interesting to find out.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted October 04, 2004 - 08:24 PM

Hello Ricky,

Just to clarify, the shock body that is on the bike now is one that I bought from BWB and I gave him my blown one as there wasn't much left of it (broken/bent shaft and bottom ring cracked - I am not sure what the inside looks like but it can't be too good). The coil is the same (Eibach 10.0 KG) that was on the bike. The subframe is brand new from Honda.

T-Diddy

• BWB63

Posted October 04, 2004 - 09:03 PM

Shock was done by the guy That Design a good dual sport Baja light setup for stock bikes :cry:
It was the 12mm nut that holds all the shims and valve onto the rod. No threads so, once a big hit that reguired allot of rebound and pow it came loose. :cry:

• Rokatt88

Posted October 05, 2004 - 06:28 AM

Hello All,
I bought my Bike from Thumpdaddy, the rider who broke his neck and he told me that the shock blew out during the accident and he had the same shock fixed before I purchased the bike. The Subframe was also bent, but was also taken care of.
Where did this shock come from?
Thanks,
Ricky

Yo RickyRacer, I want to let you know that Ti-Diddy takes REAL good care of his stuff. We rode together almost every weekend for 2 years. You could not have bought a better used XR650R. :cry:

T-Did's shock incident is very unsettleing to say the least.... :cry:

• BWB63

Posted October 05, 2004 - 07:19 AM

As for the shock that I sold ThumpDaddy it had a fresh rebiuld on it
(no miles). 3wt fluid, racing shim stack with a stock valve. 220psi nitrogen. ThumpDaddy told me it was going to have a 10kg or 10.5 kg spring on it. That's what I run is a 10kg spring so I set the shock up for a 200~220 pound guy that could ride balls to the wall. It should be real plush on the light stuff and handle jumps that the bike wasn't made to do :cry: if you want to see the same setup at work look here. Video's There are 9 videos and most were done with the same shim stack you have now. The drop off video is with a stock shock and was made to see how much it could handle. That was just a four foot drop off and it was hitting bottom with 195 pound rider on it. The shock you have now was John Roberts shock well the lower rod part wasn't. He was about to race and way over tightened the rebound adjuster till it broke :cry: he needed a shock and needed one yesterday so, I sent him my back-up and he sent me his shock with the brocken rebound aduster. Then a guy flipped his bike at 100mph on the beach he needed a new shock but, I asked for his old one for the rebound adjuster. Rebiult John Robberts, put the rebound adjuster (the whole lower part) from the other worthless shock and sold it to ThumpDaddy for $120 to help make up for some of the money on the shock that went to John Roberts.....One of those times everone got something and it worked out :cry: doesn't happen to often and it's to bad people got hurt but, at least some of the sting was reduced and everone has a shock :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.