Anyone fit a WR in a Tacoma double cab?

10 replies to this topic
  • bfly

Posted October 04, 2004 - 09:26 AM

I am curious how well it fits. Could you get two in there or is it impossible.

• jhteneyck

Posted October 04, 2004 - 10:26 AM

They will fit but it is tight. Your best bet is to stagger the bikes so that you dont have handlebar issues. I have a ford SuperCrew and the 5.5 foot box is kind of a pain but I put a foot stool that doubles as my bike stand in front of a front tire to stagger the bikes and it works sweet. :cry:

• bfly

Posted October 04, 2004 - 10:53 AM

The new double cab short bed Tacoma only has a 60.3" bed. I doubt I could stagger the bikes and fit them in the bed. I am guessing only one will fit but am hoping maybe two will.

• jhteneyck

Posted October 04, 2004 - 11:28 AM

Is that 60.3 with the tail gate down?? To get bikes (one or 2) into my truck the tail gate has to be down.

• SmallMonkey

Posted October 04, 2004 - 02:17 PM

You'll need a bigger cab than a double to do it without taking the bike apart. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nate_R

Posted October 04, 2004 - 02:56 PM

I fit mine in my custom truck which is quite a bit shorter than a double cab. Tail gate has to be down and the bike at a 45 deg. angle in the bed.
Posted Image

• wrooster

Posted October 04, 2004 - 06:51 PM

ok, first off there is no way you can get one bike in on the diagonal with a double cab. the double cab bed is shorter than the xtra cab, and my WRF just fits in on the diagonal in my '02 xtra cab.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

now then, when straight in my WRF rear wheel sits just on the gap between the bed and the tailgate. i guess i can tilt the tailgate up about 45deg or so. i never transport this way, it's so simple to put it on the diagonal. (*see note*)

as for putting two bikes in next to each other -- you can do it but it will a tight fit. here's a pic of my WRF and an XR400 in my tacoma...

Posted Image

as you can see the handlebars bounce against each other, and you'll have to run the tie downs thru the front wheels. that's a pain in the behind...

Posted Image

(*) note: if you do put the bike straight in, get a wheel chock or weld a reinforcing bar across the bed. otherwise, the bed will soon be bent into the cab and that will cause you big troubles (rust on both ends from the paint rubbing off every time you hit a bump). so get a bed bar from demello offroad, or similar reinforcement means.

Posted Image

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Nate_R

Posted October 04, 2004 - 08:46 PM

If you put the rear tire on the tail gate it'll fit on a diagonal in the double cab easy. Thats what I did in mine. My bed is way shorter than a double cab bed. Now I have a trailer cause its easier though. The tail gate can easily support the weight of the rear tire on it. It's not the best way to transport a bike but it works fine. you can just get a 6'ramp that the bike sits on in the bed too. This will keep all the weight off of the tail gate even though part of the ramp and bike will rest on it.

• Jackazz

Posted October 05, 2004 - 08:09 AM

I don't have the same 'yota as you, but the method that works for my '92 xtracab longbed should be fine, as long as the bike(s) will fit straight in the bed (with the rear wheels @ the tailgate hinge, or on it).

Get one of each size fork support made by PC Racing
Posted Image
BTW, I haven't gotten the "mini-bike" one yet, so far I've been using a cut down 2x4 which works well, but I'm going to get the other one as it's much "cleaner".

Load each bike so that the wheels line up on the inner edge of the wheel wells (this should give you enough room in the middle) & use the short support on the first bike loaded in, & the long one on the second, this way the second bike's bars should be higher than the first & the bikes won't beat each other to death.

I typicaly only tie-down the front of the bikes, but as an extra percaution, I always run a tie-down through the rear wheels, from one side of the bed to the other, in case the front ones come loose or fail.

Posted Image

• bfly

Posted October 05, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Is that 60.3 with the tail gate down?? To get bikes (one or 2) into my truck the tail gate has to be down.

That is just the bed length. The tailgate would be around another 18".

• bfly

Posted October 05, 2004 - 10:27 AM

ok, first off there is no way you can get one bike in on the diagonal with a double cab. the double cab bed is shorter than the xtra cab, and my WRF just fits in on the diagonal in my '02 xtra cab.

I was refering to having them in with the tailgate down.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.