Broken dip stick

6 replies to this topic
  • Hd_hubub

Posted October 04, 2004 - 08:09 AM

Just noticed that the previous owner of my '01 must have 'muscled' the dip stick at some point & broke it off right below the 'upper' level mark. :cry:

I can only assume the rest of the stick is in the frame.

Am I up the creek with this situation, or is it alright to let the thing float around in there? :cry:

Posted October 04, 2004 - 08:37 AM

Kinda makes you wonder if he didn't cut it off there as sort of a Go/NoGo gauge for the oil,(if it's on the stick, it's O.K.)???

• Roll_it_on

Posted October 04, 2004 - 08:42 PM

It's most likely sitting in the inside of your frame reservoir. If you remove the filter screen at the bottom of the frame you may just find it sitting in there and you can pull it out. It can't get to the engine from where it is.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoZerk

Posted October 04, 2004 - 10:18 PM

I bet he cut it off. It can be a pain in the ass to screw in...unless you know the trick.

• jws

Posted October 05, 2004 - 03:59 AM

I bet he cut it off. It can be a pain in the ass to screw in...unless you know the trick.

i read somewhere a while back about guys cutting there dip sticks like you descibe :cry:

jeff :cry:

• redrider650r

Posted October 05, 2004 - 04:01 PM

Hd - It was cut

• jkwithers

Posted October 07, 2004 - 10:37 PM

it was cut it is a pain in the ass to get a whole one in. I cut about 2 inches off mine . works like a charm

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.