Tire Pressure...

6 replies to this topic
  • billyj7175

Posted April 29, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Okay, I guess I've been out of the loop too long....what's a good front/rear tire pressure for desert terrain/dual sport....??? I've already ordered some DOT tires and plan on putting in some Moose HD tubes...

• Wilson-1

Posted April 29, 2002 - 05:41 PM

I run 15 to 17 psi in sandy desert conditions and a little more if pounding rocks to avoid pinches, don't know what type of bike you use but this works well on the XR 600. Good luck

• Jim_Scheide

Posted May 06, 2002 - 03:11 AM

I agree with Wilson, but you can increase the pressure to 20-25 for road/hard surfaces, especially if you ride a larger,heavier bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted May 06, 2002 - 03:21 AM

13-14 front, 17-18 rear.

I run Michelin Air-Stop heavy duty tubes.

Also, I have added heavy duty slime to both tires.
8 oz front, 12 oz rear.

Posted May 06, 2002 - 08:58 AM

I run 16 in the front and 15 in the rear for almost all conditions. Do you spend a lot of time on the street? If not, I wouldn't even bother with DOT legal tires. At best, they're marginal.

• Slow_Poke

Posted May 06, 2002 - 11:46 AM

My father and i run 13 front and rear for the most part. I really like the feel of 11.5 to 12 in the front but i tend to crack a lot of front rims at this pressure.

• Moredesert

Posted May 09, 2002 - 08:30 PM

On big bore bikes we run 18-20 in the front and 15-18 in the rear with 140-80x18 and 120/100x18's on the rear. If your riding mostly slow speeds you can go a little lower. The rocks are the tire and rim killers at speed.

Slime works for nails and cactus but just makes a mess with rim pinches.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.