12.5:1 vs 13.5:1 piston kits

12 replies to this topic
  • GetSumBaby

Posted October 03, 2004 - 06:05 PM

Im rebuilding my bike and noticed that Wiseco sells a 12.5:1 (stock) and a 13.5:1 piston kit. And the 13 is $1 cheaper!! How big are the gains when going from 12.5 to 13.5? What about gas octane? Any negatives to switching. The bike is totally stock.

Ed

• Jeffro426

Posted October 03, 2004 - 07:21 PM

When i had my 426, i did a rebuild with the 13.5:1...from idle to probably about 5000 RPM it did feel a little bit stronger and seemed to help with roll on power...its not a huge gain, but i guess it helped a little bit. It ran fine with it though...didnt need to change anything and still ran fine on premium pump gas. I had that, the hotcams intake and exhaust cams, and a thunder alley on mine and it freakin hauled the mail and then some!

• tool

Posted October 03, 2004 - 07:54 PM

i guess i felt more of a gain than jeffro, but my bike run fine on pump gas too. there are no downsides, but it works really well with the hotcam.

• yz426onNOS

Posted October 03, 2004 - 08:11 PM

Awesome kit! Go for it! I run mine on race gas. It seems to like it a lot better then pump gas. But it will run on pump gas no problem. I noticed a stronger hit in the bottem end.

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2004 - 08:27 PM

As long as the gas can stand it without knocking, compression is one of the best things you can give a four stroke.

Ironically, the biggest gains will be at low speed, where it will also be most likely to first exhibit any tendency to knock, but modern ignitions cover that situation pretty well. More compression makes the intake pulse stronger, which helps civilize agressive cam timing.

Four-strokes don't suffer a loss it top end pull from higher compression like two-strokes sometimes do either.

It just depends on the fuel, but apparently, that's been working OK for these other guys.

• Bryan47

Posted October 03, 2004 - 10:02 PM

Where's a good place to get one of those piston kits? I have mine apart and was contemplating doing that same thing.... Never hurts to add more power! :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GetSumBaby

Posted October 04, 2004 - 06:47 PM

ever hear of any problems from putting this piston in? A local shop said when they put a higher comp piston kit in some Honda's - they blew the top studs out? (whatever that means).

So its pretty safe and you all would reccomend it?

Ed

• grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2004 - 04:45 PM

I haven't heard of any problems associated with bumping up the compression except occasional problems getting quality fuel.

If raising the compression would pull out cylinder head studs, don't you think that the huge contingent of supermoto CRFs would be tossing their heads off like a bunch of young strippers? Anything that increases horsepower also increases cylinder pressure (that's why it increases horsepower). This increase in the pressure of the fuel burn far exceeds any increase in cranking pressure brought about by the compression itself.

Sounds like someone with high compression pulled a stud, so naturally, it had to be because of the compression.

• 04hondaCRF150F

Posted October 05, 2004 - 06:15 PM

All together my little CRF has about 14:1 compression. So i dont think yours will have a problem. The reason i have so; high is cause my stro;ker and the high comp piston. Stock in this bike was 9:1 and i went to 12:1. Plus the stroker which equals 14:1 :cry: or something near that. Havnt had anyproblems yet. And hope to never have problems. :cry:

• FFRacing79

Posted October 05, 2004 - 07:09 PM

All together my little CRF has about 14:1 compression. So i dont think yours will have a problem. The reason i have so; high is cause my stro;ker and the high comp piston. Stock in this bike was 9:1 and i went to 12:1. Plus the stroker which equals 14:1 :cry: or something near that. Havnt had anyproblems yet. And hope to never have problems. :cry:

Have you poured the motor(cc'ed) or are you just guessing on the compression? Just curious.

• 04hondaCRF150F

Posted October 05, 2004 - 07:26 PM

Have you poured the motor(cc'ed) or are you just guessing on the compression? Just curious.

I havnt done a compression check but i had people calculate it some how on what it might be. But i know my new piston is a 12:1 And the stock was 9:1, so thats a big increase for a little bike like this. And with the 9.5mm stroke increase so it increased the compression even more so its some where around 14:1.

• felony

Posted October 09, 2004 - 04:00 AM

like jeffro said earlier i noticed a lil'more hit on the bottom end BUT mine seemed like it would stall easier than before,i got used to it after a few hours and now its a non issue.probably one of the best bangs for the buck since your replacing a piston anyhow

• bushy

Posted October 09, 2004 - 04:33 AM

The only way to calculate your compression ratio is the clearance from the top of the piston to the bottom of the head at bottom dead center, minus the clearance top of the piston to the bottom of the head at top dead center.

Of course it takes an effort to find out how much clearance there actually is. Am I right, Tryce? :cry:

Or you can use this if you dont have all your calculations already.

http://www.csgnetwor...m/compcalc.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.