Oil change trouble!

3 replies to this topic
  • XR_David

Posted April 25, 2002 - 11:46 PM

Hi!

I´ve recently bought an xr600 -97, and made my first oil + filter change yesterday. But when I filled it with new oil, -it only came only in 2/3 .
Do I have to unplugg anything when filling oil to get it circulate?

David

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 26, 2002 - 03:33 AM

First, make sure that you have removed both drain plugs. One is down by the shift lever, the other is in the frame just below the header behind the front wheel. I usually kick the bike using the compression release to get rid of as much oil as possible. Then, replace all bolts and filter. Oil can then be poured in slowly, the first quart goes in easy. On the second one, pace yourself. As oil starts flowing slower and slower, pull in the compression release and kick the bike slowly to get oil moving. I usually do about 20 easy kicks. Keep adding oil slowly and kicking when needed. You should take about 2.3 quarts (US) to fill it. Ryan :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rhino

Posted April 26, 2002 - 05:41 AM

Ditto on removing both drain plugs, I usually pull the plugs one at a time, then put them back on fingertight, kick it slowly (about 10 times) with the manual decompression lever in, then drain again, replace and tighten to specs. Then I do the oil filter.

As far as filling it up with oil, I'll quote my owner's manual "To fill the oil tank up to the upper level, oil should be added in two steps". To do this fill it with oil to the upper mark, and install the dipstick, start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, stop engine, add oil again up to the upper mark...to paraphrase the step-by-step procedure from the manual. Good Luck.

• Copperglobe

Posted April 26, 2002 - 11:31 AM

For what its worth, this is the oil that we've been using in all our bikes for several years with no problems. All told, about 40 bikes with those of family and friends. It's about $1.80 per quart.

Pennzoil Motorcycle oil 20w-50

I'm sure there are many opinions on the subject. We do change oils after every trip. Oil is cheap...bike are not.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.