Side effects of TPS disco

7 replies to this topic
  • redrider77

Posted October 02, 2004 - 03:54 PM

I know this is a very controversial topic, and after doing gobs of searching and reading, I can't tell what the latest concensus is on disconecting the TPS. I played around with disconecting mine today, and it was happiest unplugged.

I hear that there are some possible negative side affects such as dry mouth, insomnia, sexual side effects... wait, that's Celebrex :cry: Predetonation seemed to be the worst in particular.

Anyone know of any factual instances when running their bike unplugged (TPS) led to something bad. I'm trying to seperate the fact from the fiction here.

• r_dawg1021

Posted October 02, 2004 - 10:18 PM

I know this is a very controversial topic, and after doing gobs of searching and reading, I can't tell what the latest concensus is on disconecting the TPS. I played around with disconecting mine today, and it was happiest unplugged.

I hear that there are some possible negative side affects such as dry mouth, insomnia, sexual side effects... wait, that's Celebrex :cry: Predetonation seemed to be the worst in particular.

Anyone know of any factual instances when running their bike unplugged (TPS) led to something bad. I'm trying to seperate the fact from the fiction here.

Can't say anything bad about it. Unplugging it for street riding was the best thing I ever did. I'll find out pretty soon what effect it has on the dirt.

• chipwich

Posted October 03, 2004 - 04:55 AM

I've been running mine that way for about a month, and seat of the pants feel is better disconnected. Of course, the only real way would be to either dyno it, or perhaps some impromtu drag races with a stock WR with same skill/weight rider. Mine is a much happier all round ride without the TPS. There has been some speculation that Yamaha got the ignition map wrong for the '04, and my experience would back that up. I haven't attempted to check it/or adjust it, which I will do some day, but right now I'm enjoying a very smooth running WR, on or off road.

• redrider77

Posted October 04, 2004 - 07:47 PM

Any more thoughts guys :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted October 06, 2004 - 08:37 AM

I set mine up with a switch. (the on/off light switch that came stock on the bike) I can't really tell a difference between the two when I switch it. Don't know of any side effects of being unplugged. The bike seems to run a little better top end. It kind of farted a little the other day, but I'm sure that's because it's now 40 degrees instead of 80.

Just pull the plug and be :cry:

• MathProf

Posted October 06, 2004 - 11:43 AM

Originally, I disconnected my TPS and closed off the ACV.

Later, I reconnected the TPS and left the ACV closed.

I believe that there is better low end response with the TPS connected.

I run strictly offroad, and above 6000ft.

• r_dawg1021

Posted October 07, 2004 - 08:05 AM

If you rode on the streets with a constant high RPM you would see a difference. There is no difference from what I could tell at the lower RPMs. It's when you're trying to cruise in top gear on the freeway that I noticed the difference. My bike is almost unrideable (sp) on the street with the TPS connected. I went out this weekend on the trails with it disconnected and had no problems.

• Dark Horse

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Just bought a 2001 WR426 and it ran like crap anywhere and anytime i was at a constant rev. I had no problem when i was on and off the throttle racin around a track. I became very frustrated! Tried all the free mods and it kept getting worse....weather got cooler and the bike would barely run. I reversed all the free mods....put everything back together and finally found all you guys complaining about this TPS thing. Well, I disconnected it last night and with no mods (aside from the cut throttle stop) it rips. I will be doing the mods again with the TPS disconnected to see how that feels. I still feel robbed of power without the mods but it sure is better. I believe my TPS is simply broke or completely adjusted wrong. I'll let ya'll know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.