Hand/lever protection???

11 replies to this topic
  • fourstroker

Posted June 29, 2001 - 01:54 PM

I was wandering what kind of hand/lever protection I should be investing in. I mostly ride trails, enduro, scrambles, etc. and was wandering if the Acerbis Flag Handguards would offer enough protection for my levers/grips/etc or do I need to invest in a pair of Cycra alloy handguards to offer protection when I take a fall?

Thank you for your feedback.

(Highland, Illinois)

• Bill

Posted June 29, 2001 - 02:32 PM

If you want to protect your levers and hands from imovable objects such as trees :) You should go with an alloy type handguard. The Acerbis flags are only roost protection.

The most rigid handguards would be the triple clamp mount type :D

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• Michael

Posted June 30, 2001 - 09:52 PM

I run the Cycras, and like them. I bought them because of the mounting system. The extra adjustability is great, very easy to install even with crowd handbars.

• YamaCazi

Posted July 01, 2001 - 03:56 AM

Ok, Wait a minute there Mr. Bill.... :D

I had one of the worst Bar bending episodes yesterday at a poker run in Barnesville Ga. I'm going to be hurting for atleast a week because odf this one. I've got the Yamaha $59. Acerbis guards on my ride and the left guard was dis-figured during the cartwheel event. Within a couple of minutes it returned to it's normal shape and the only way I could tell it had been dinged was a rock induced scratch. Not to mention a new pair of Moose bars that now look like a boat tiller....Lucky I had my original bars in my trailer with me. :)

Badly bruised ribs and a dinged up left foot but no banged up hands thanks to the Acerbis Guards..... :D

Yeehaaaaaa.............. :D

• z4me

Posted July 01, 2001 - 10:38 AM

There is a big difference between durability and protection. Hit a tree with your flag type guards and see how the impact is transmitted to your knuckles.

- Sean

Posted July 01, 2001 - 06:01 PM

I use Moose handguards and covers. I usually ride pretty tight stuff and sometimes I beat the tree :) other times the tree beats me. They offer great protection and are extremely durable. I actually have hit small tree, up rooted them and kept on screaming.

2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed, Gray Wire Mod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr_Toyz

Posted July 01, 2001 - 08:27 PM

I've run Acerbis Pro Rallys and hated the fact they constantly come loose and tend to twist on the bar...

Cycra Probends with GYTR triple clamp mounts are defintely the way to go. Using these triple clamp mounts stop any twisting.

Don't bother with the Cycra triple clamp mounts they don't offer any adjustability.

Mr T

Posted July 02, 2001 - 05:47 AM

I will agree with Mr Toyz. A triple clamp mount is the way to go, I forgot about that. :)

2001 YR 426, YZ# Plate, YZ Fender, YZ pipe, YZ Tank, SDG YZ Seat, 13/50 Gearing, Pro-Taper Bars, TAG Triple Clamp, Moose Handguards, Maier Frameguards, Throttle Stop Trimmed, Air Box Lid Removed, Gray Wire Mod.

• wrooster

Posted July 02, 2001 - 06:44 AM

for info on the gyt-r (aka cycra) handguards and TC mounts, look at my posts here: http://www.thumperta...TML/000361.html
and here: http://www.thumperta...TML/000458.html
and here: http://www.thumperta...TML/000616.html

summary-- i like them; initially there's a bit of a problem to get them mounted due to the brake line, but once they're on you can ride with abandon through the trees without fear of smashing your fingers.

the wrooster

• PapaSmurf

Posted July 02, 2001 - 10:53 AM

Just installed Cycra Pro Bends w/triple clamp mounts on my '00WR400. I looked at all of the Acerbis stuff but really wanted the triple clamp mount option. The bars are crowded enough as it is! My main concern is keeping hands and fingers from getting crushed against trees so I went with aluminum. Wish I had known about the GYTR clamp mounts though!

• Hick

Posted July 02, 2001 - 03:17 PM

Did you get the Cycra triple clamp mounts? Those are just as good as the GYT-R mounts, not as adjustable but they worked perfectly for me, and they appear stronger than the GYT-R units. Having said that, I did bend them, now I have a pair of the GYT-Rs. Whatever...

Anyway if you just got the normal Cycra mounts it doesn't really matter, Cycra doesn't like selling the guards w/out the mounts although they will if you beg, and then you don't really save much. So you would have to buy the GYT-R mounts seperately and in addition to the “normal” mounts regardless.

Before I bent the Cycra triple clamp mounts I did start to pull some of the threads out. Mine were not threaded all the way through (maybe they changed this) so I drilled them through and tapped them and used a longer bolt for a super good fit.

I will never go back to bar mounted guards (okay, probably never, like if I get a KTM or something where you don't have a choice...).

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 07-02-2001).]

• PapaSmurf

Posted July 08, 2001 - 09:47 PM

Hick- I got the mounts from Cycra and had no problems, although I did have the front edges milled down so I didn't have to modify the headlight/number plate mounting. Everything fit well and lined up ok so the adjustability isn't really a problem.
Which threads are you referring to regarding them pulling out? If it is the clamp where the guard end attaches it is still a blind hole. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that.
F.Y.I., I priced everthing on Yamaha's site and the cost is within a couple of bucks including the plastic.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.