gotta give props to my XR

3 replies to this topic
  • RedThunder

Posted April 23, 2002 - 02:15 PM

Today was the second time I've checked the valves since I've had the 650 (got it May 29), and they were still within spec. The first time I checked them, they were also fine. No countershaft seals blowing out, no overheating, no catching fire, etc etc....

Maybe I don't run it as hard as some might, but hey that works for me.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:15 PM

Well I did see one catch on fire a few weeks ago, but rode with the guy Friday and everything is fine. Hopefully the 650 is destined for the same reliability record as the air-cooled XRs. The 650 is a very nice bike and I could see myself behind the bars in a few years. How do you like it in the sand? Do you run a paddle?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Craig_Mitchell

Posted April 23, 2002 - 08:00 PM

Due to my local dealer going bust after 3 months
the valves ( and the oil screen inside the
engine ) did not get checked untill
9000miles/15 months. Valves were within speck
and internal screen was totally clean.

Only problem in 2 year's ownership is a
squeek form the rear suspension. I've greased
everything except the top of shock link, which
I'll do soon.

cheers, Craig

• RedThunder

Posted April 24, 2002 - 03:24 AM

I love it in the dunes. I'm just running a Pirelli MT44, but it still goes pretty good out there. I have no trouble at all climing any of the hills. I'm sure it would do a little better with a paddle, but the extra hassle of taking one on and off probably wouldn't be worth it for me.

It doesn't jump very well in the dunes, but then agian it doesn't jump very well, period. It really performs well on the wide open, whooped-out roads.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.